Tanker inbound

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Tanker inbound

Post by Archer »

Figured the exterior slot was a test cut. Wouldn't be certain of what you'd do if you decided not to go down that path but welding it back up and grinding it back down makes sense although it might take the hardness out of the surrounding metal. Didn't exactly peg the angled cut though. Sort of assumed part of that might have been remnants of a modified front sight cut location but didn't think about it that hard.

When you say it was hardened at the "curve" in the hood section, I'm not certain exactly where you are talking about. Are we talking the area adjacent to the bushing retention slot or the recoil spring tunnel? I could see either of those maybe needing a bit more strength or maybe becoming work hardened over time.

Interesting concept for the slots in the exterior of the barrel next to the slide. Sort of the same concept as the HK/CETME fluted chamber only to unstick the barrel/slide interface instead of the cartridge/chamber.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Archer wrote:When you say it was hardened at the "curve" in the hood section, I'm not certain exactly where you are talking about. Are we talking the area adjacent to the bushing retention slot or the recoil spring tunnel? I could see either of those maybe needing a bit more strength or maybe becoming work hardened over time.

Interesting concept for the slots in the exterior of the barrel next to the slide. Sort of the same concept as the HK/CETME fluted chamber only to unstick the barrel/slide interface instead of the cartridge/chamber.
The curve:
20211108_215216_(1)_resized.jpg
Very hard and tough thru that area on each side. I think that part takes the beating as the inside of the hood hits the recoil spring guide?

And the splines.... You have probably noticed in yourself, that in your youth, you took more risk, were impetuous and apt to act first and think later. If that had presented itself as of late, I'm not sure it would have been "cured" the same way. I'd have pondered it to oblivion. I'll tell ya though, that the case lube came out of the top of the slide at its big oval ports, and "grew" out the front at the spline openings. The splines weren't too wide or that deep. Maybe 50 - 60 thou' wide and 15-20 deep. My bud KJ said it was room to "wipe" the garbage out so it didn't get stuck on itself. I agree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

If it was a typical bull barrel then it was probably still lots thicker than a standard one even after the fluting.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Just the original flared officers profile
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

20211112_190706_reresized.jpg
And there ya go. I've corrected the "overhang" of the safety catch on the back of the frame, which was slight but eventually was a bit annoying to the shooting hand.

Trigger pull at 4lbs almost even (within an ounce or so. Machine work on parts is clean, tool mark free, and every part I've seen so far (not the internal hammer, sear, disconnect, or trigger) seem "machined from solid". Barrel is chrome plated, which doesn't really turn me on, but whatever. I don't like the ACT mags, so that got ditched. Using no-name mags that seem to work well in all my 45 autos.

Finish is Ceracoat, but my touch up was black "Gun-Kote" and it matched up pretty well.

A caution about the grip screws from Hickock45 seems to have been corrected in production from oddball metric to standard thread.

All the parts fit very tight, so it should be a fairly accurate pistol. Better than average slide-to-frame, and a bit tighter than GI standard on the barrel (just a little fore/aft play).

I'll most likely tear it down completely after its first range trip, see what the innards look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

"fore/aft play" - is the barrel link short ?
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Great question Gunny and the answer is no.

As you probably already know, most 1911 barrels have some movement forward and backward (aka fore and aft) in the slide when the slide is disassembled from the frame. Match barrels usually come with hoods that are a little bit longer than needed, and require trimming to fit into place. Sometimes the hood needs to be made narrower as well. Depends on the barrel. Production barrels are much looser, however one thing to look for is that fore/aft movement. The reason being that excessive movement in that direction results in the slide slamming into a stationary barrel upon firing which is hell on the barrel's upper locking lugs and the slides corresponding surfaces. Usually (but always) its the barrel that does south, but sometimes its the slide. You'll see peening and rolling of the edges when the wear occurs. Ruger's All American 9mm had that issue and Ruger had to replace both slide and barrel because both were prone to wear. Again, it all depends. I like to get a match barrel fit with zero "slop" and then let that spot wear in a bit with shooting. It will wear just a tiny amount and stay that way. The .45 barrel will wear out on the outside before it wears out on the inside, btw.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Not bad. Is the frame the nicely rounded Colt profile or is it a little less rounded into the sides?

Seems like the arched mainspring housing mostly went away finally. Personally I tend to like the 'long' triggers as well.

I probably need to do the contouring on my Springfield Champion thumb safety. They put them out nearly full thickness all the way back to the point and as you say it can wear on you a little although mine hasn't bugged me enough to do it to date.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Whatcha mean rounded into the sides
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Some of the clones don't follow the same amount of rounding from the front strap into the frame as the Colts.
They have more of a corner effect there. Not square but it isn't quite a smooth transition either.

The older Springfields and I think the brand was Safari maybe were extreme examples. I think the Norinco imports were pretty close to the Colt contour.

The pic looks pretty close to the Colt but I wasn't sure how close.