Zeroing Theory

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Zeroing Theory

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Best explanation I’ve found on zeroing theory:

https://www.recoilweb.com/no-true-zero- ... 32967.html

I’m in the market for a ballistic calculator. Any opinions?
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Zeroing Theory

Post by Reese-Mo »

There are a lot of online tools. In print (and I'm showing my age), I have always found the Speer bullet reloading manual tables pretty close.

Air pressure, relative humidity, temperature, wind direction and speed, consistency of the ammo... gets a bit anal retentive for my tastes.

This old man shoots his rifles, sees where they hit. Adjusts, rechecks, readjust if needed, sticks a fork in it and calls it "done". Yes, I'm not maximizing my capabilities. But, given the likely circumstances under which I'd fire in a "real world" situation, I won't go nuts with it. If I was benchrest shooting, I would, but not for any rifle I own, or plan to own.

Hunting? Close range mostly, under 200 yards. Iron sight territory, even for these old eyes. Target may be moving slowly, hard to judge distance in quick situation, so... practice at 200 yards will get me plenty good at closer distance. Bad-guy at what range? 300 yards? 400? Red dot to the rescue. Sight at 200, hold a little high at other distances. If I aim for the upper chest and hit the BG in the belly button he's still got a real hurtin goin on.

However.... there is a technical side to me that says.... I wanna know, and strive for perfection. In the past, I was that way. These days, I have more to savor the pursuit of perfection.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm not a hunter and between the shortages and previous attempts at perfection on target, I just decided good enough was fine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Best explanation I’ve found on zeroing theory:

https://www.recoilweb.com/no-true-zero- ... 32967.html

I’m in the market for a ballistic calculator. Any opinions?
Take a look at Strelok and Hornady's 4 DoF both will work on a phone. I'm currently trying to figure out Sierra's Infinity all of them have learning curves.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image