Cimarron 44 special inbound

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Cimarron 44 special inbound

Post by Reese-Mo »

I've got the Charter Boomer, got a GP100 in .44special, but couldn't resist. Came across a NIB (they say) 44special Cimarron, with 4-5/8 (or something like that) barrel. Its a newer one, with the dread "retractable" firing pin. But... it also comes with TWO Uberti 4 click hammers and appropriate triggers. That's a deal I just could not refuse. Pics of the parts show 'em in a "sealed pack", and they look like the ones I got from Taylors for my .45C Uberti (judging from the packaging in heat seal plastic). Ok but not fantastic case hardening, but looks clean, no buggered screws. Basically a safe queen since '16, from a retiree up in Hickok45 country.

I'm a sucker for color case hardening, and the Uberti finish isn't sprayed and baked like Ruger's. Its the real thing, so... I promise not "age" anything, and just let it do its thing naturally.

With any luck, it should be here on Saturday or Tuesday. If its Saturday, it'll be a grand ol' Independence Day for certain. Naturally... pics when things show up.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Cimarron 44 special inbound

Post by Archer »

One of these days I'm going to do something stupid like pick up a Schofield revolver replica in .44 Sp.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

The only stupid thing is waitin' to do so!

Well, Cimarron finally got the .44 to the online vendor (nameless) who has now "logged their intended shipment" with UPS. Will be out the door Tuesday, and at the FFL Wednesday. Hopefully.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

(later on) I am wondering, and confused. I've got a conundrum festerin'.

It could not have been Cimarron who sent the "used" 44 to my vendor. The "has arrived from our supplier, and is being shipped to you" email can't be Cimmarron. Which leads me to believe that the vendor might be on a "behind the scenes" network of FFLs that supply stuff, rather than market it themselves? Maybe, but I can't see that happenin' in todays online panic buy arms market. Maybe its a canned email, and everyone gets that sort of thing, dunno. Price was right, so I guess we'll see what arrives.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ah, just gotta love the.44 special. Fun to shoot and can be handloaded for hunting. For when ya don't need all the smoke, noise and recoil of a magnum.

Here are a couple of my favorites ...
IMG_0225 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Should be in hand Sat AM. Finally.

And nice lookin shooters you got!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Archer wrote:One of these days I'm going to do something stupid like pick up a Schofield revolver replica in .44 Sp.
Reese-Mo wrote:The only stupid thing is waitin' to do so!
It's relative.
I probably own a dozen revolvers in .38 SP, .357 and .44 Mag. 4 rifles in .44 mag and .357 Mag.

At the price a .44 SP Schofield is running I am just about as likely to see if I can pick up one of the new Anacondas.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Arroyoshark wrote:Ah, just gotta love the.44 special. Fun to shoot and can be handloaded for hunting. For when ya don't need all the smoke, noise and recoil of a magnum.

Here are a couple of my favorites ...
IMG_0225 copy.jpg

That's a couple nice looking pistols.

It's kind of weird. Back when I was in college one of my friends rented a Desert Eagle a couple times at a range north of Atlanta. Now this range was a pretty small setup, say 6 lanes or so rather short range, with stuff on the walls in a vane attempt at absorbing some of the blast from the guns and in all honesty I don't think anyone had taken a shop vac to the place in at least a half decade. Needless to say, shooting a .44 mag in the confined space tended to shake the entire room. I think visiting that range, even before the .44 mag incidents, was about the point I started double stacking hearing protection with earplugs and ear muffs at the same time.

The first time he rented the DE we were unimpressed. It tended to jam pretty often. I think we were shooting Winchester White Box. The second time the range said they highly recommended Samson ammunition as the gun tended to like hot ammo. We took it into the range along with the standard fair of .45 ACP and .22 LR we owned and it worked perfectly. We then shot the normal stuff and I noted a couple entering the range. I suggested to my friend we might want to leave. He said 'Ok but I want to shoot up this .44 Mag first.' So he proceeds to rip off the last mag or so of .44s through the Eagle and we pack up and leave.

The young couple is standing in the checkout line next to us, returning their hearing protection and safety glasses. It seems the clip of .44 Mag my friend ended his session with rattled the young lady to the point they had to leave. My friend admitted he was responsible and apologized profusely.

I really didn't have a lot of use for the round.
Fast forward a few years and I manage to lay my hands on a new Winchester 94 Legacy in .44 Magnum and soon thereafter pick up a Dillon SDB along with about a K of .44 mag shells, 4-8 lbs of 2400 and 2500 240 grain .429 bullets...

So a couple three years later when I'm offered a couple .44 mag revolvers at a price I can't quite refuse I end up getting them. I wind up downloading a little from the load I was using in the 94 but still using a magnum level load.

I've come to really appreciate the load, assuming the grips on the gun are 'right' and not something that lets the gun shift in your hand under recoil.

I have on occasion shot these under a tin cover in the pistol shed with a warm/hot load and as those first two I picked up are ported the concussion from the revolvers tends to bounce off the tin roof back among your fellow shooters and get their attention.

I've also used a 'medium' load in the guns to introduce new shooters to big bore fun.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Well, Archer, as thouroughly as I enjoy firing .44 specials from dedicated .44 spl. revolvers, I also find use for a .44 magnum revolver.

Here is an elk dropped with single round from Dan Wesson 6-inch .44 mag revolver in Northern New Mexico one opening morning. The hunting ground was at 10,000 foot contour in early November. Range was a paced 70 yards. At these moments I have no recollection of any concussion or felt recoil, other than the muzzle flipping up some.

DSC00012 copy..pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Arroyoshark,
Good shootin, one shot and done.
my hero Elmer Keith was right, 44 mag gets it done.