Cimarron 44 special inbound

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Cimarron 44 special inbound

Post by Arroyoshark »

Mad Trapper wrote:Arroyoshark,
Good shootin, one shot and done.
my hero Elmer Keith was right, 44 mag gets it done.
Thanks Trapper !

Elmer Keith's writing and advocation for new calibers was often quite pointed for sure. I just returned from driving to Sandpoint, ID a couple weeks ago. On the return drive I traversed from Missoula, MT to Salmon, Idaho. I camped at a remote hot springs up in the mountains above Salmon River on Idaho/Montana boundary. I also passed by 16 Keith Lane, which is where Elmer Keith lived on the North Fork above Salmon in 1930's & 1940's. Two years ago I noted the property was listed for sale. This year when I stopped to look, there were no for sale signs, so either property was delisted or sold. Elmer's old cabin and out buildings were still there, as well as a more modern log house, presumably built by his son, Ted Keith. Elmer left this little ranch in late 1940's and moved to house on Lombard ST., on westerly side of Salmon, but kept the ranch property (55 acres) in the family.. Elmer Keith died around 1984 subsequent to a stroke, and his son Ted who lived in Boise just passed in 2019. I have stopped a couple of times at the Cabela's in Boise to see the Elmer Keith Exhibit there. Ted Keith loaned a lot of Elmer's guns and gear for that display. Sadly it was dismantled around 2014 and all of Elmer Keith's firearms were auctioned off. Elmer Keith's grandson, Gregor, infrequently posts on the Smith & Wesson Collectors Forum.

Typically Elmer Keith's hand loads were hotter than heck. Elmer Keith's books make interesting reading.

Here is the old listing for the Keith ranch, if you want to live in Idaho !

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16-K ... 360_zpid/?
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

That is a nice piece of property.
I remember Elmers presentation ruger blackhawk 45 colt from 1970/71 has the serial # 45-04237.
It sold at auction.
I have one not far behind with a serial # 45-047xx.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Well.... I handled the 44. More or less nice. And, I'm in "instant background" check hell. Still not "approved" or denied. They're gonna default tomorrow. Original instant wait time was 15-30 _hours_. Jeeze.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yeesh, you have my condolences. Does a FL concealed permit bypass the background check? Thats half the reason I maintain mine.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Reese-Mo wrote:Well.... I handled the 44. More or less nice. And, I'm in "instant background" check hell. Still not "approved" or denied. They're gonna default tomorrow. Original instant wait time was 15-30 _hours_. Jeeze.
Oh man, this acquisition has been a bit of an ordeal for you. Hope the Cimarron lets you appreciate it that much more.

Hand loads make for nice .44 special shooting. I particularly like a 210 gr. Flatnose cast bullet with large meplat, as manufactured by SNS casting, loaded with 8.5 gr. of AA#5.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

No, the carry permit doesn't bypass background checks, but does knock an _additional_ 3 days wait off things. Its supposed to be instant on the check, and those with no permit wait after approval. That flies out the tent flap when the instant is as long as waiting period.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I thought Florida laws pertaining ffl sales was about the same as ours in Texas. Producing your license to carry IS considered your "background check", so no phone calls required. In the past, I've had guns picked out, mulled it over for a day or so, then gone back to the shop to actually buy them, and after a short time of still having to fill out the 4473 and dropping the money on the counter leave the store with the gun in hand. I think my record time was around seven minutes.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Not here.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Well, there ya go, with before and after of the hammer/trigger transplant.
20210713_205049.jpg
20210713_202253_(1).jpg
The blue is quite well done. Fitting of metal quite nearly perfect (back strap, trigger guard, etc).
The color case ain't exactly something to write home about, and the loading gate doesn't really match, as its mostly grey with no color, and the rest of things are quite dark.

The grips could use some fine detail work, and I might give them some, lose the Cimarron medallians and put in some pewter buffalo nickle fakes. You can get the fakes in almost every millimeter size up to an inch or so, so I'm guessing something like 12-13 mm should do. Not too important at the moment.

The cylinder is tight, no end shake, but... you know machine marks get smoothed a bit, and we might pick up a .0005 or more. I've got the washers to correct that.

And the worst thing I can say, is the hand, or pawl, is fit too snug. It locks the cylinder just a little too early, and that impedes the hammer getting into position. I can adjust that tomorrow or over the weekend. Not a big deal.

Rifling is smooth, chambers smooth, and appear correctly sized and whaddaya know, they line up with the bore as best as I can detect.

Overall, nice, but not quite as nice as my .45 Birdshead. And that's saying "nice" after the hammer/trigger swap. The factory ones had a trigger pull that was probably close to 8lbs or so, but some of that was the tight hand.

So, pretty much happy with things as far as "it'll be a good shooter" goes, not crazy on the mostly dark blue color case finish, but... oh well, they all vary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I like the slightly longer "dragoon" style grip frame and grips. Should handle better than the typical Colt inspired hog leg grip frame. It's a nice looking piece overall - hope it shoots well for ya.

I occasionally cross paths with horse mounted cowboys up in the mountains, looking for strays or bringing cattle down off the range, with holstered Uberti single actions. In visiting with them, I find calibers most often .44-40 or .45 Colt, and a few in .357 mag.