CZ Bobwhite SxS 12g inbound

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: CZ Bobwhite SxS 12g inbound

Post by Archer »

Yeah, The Chinese stuff was pretty hit or miss IMO and I've avoided it.
I sort of feel the same way about the Russian Toks since you have wartime communist production and communist maintenance on top of corrosive ammo. Rode hard and put away wet.

I'm pretty sure 7.62x25 wasn't supposed to be a higher pressure .30 Mauser round, just something the Russians managed to mess up the math slightly on.

I haven't seen a Colt as bad as you describe but when I was helping out at the shop that my friend owned here in SoCal I generally tried to steer folks away from them unless they just had to have the Colt name. My thought was that you got a much better gun for the same price and usually didn't have to break it in. That was a toss up with the Springfields. They could take anywhere from 'works out of the box' to MUST fire 400 rounds before they start smoothing out. You could take some of those edges off manually but I generally don't recommend that to folks who don't already know what they are doing. At least they no longer require fitting of the extractor EVERY time like they did when I was in college and a friend of mine got a stainless 5" for a darned good price. He sold it later after he got a Colt Commander. I'm not certain why. That Commander wasn't exactly a bad gun but if you needed it to go more than about 100-150 shots you'd have to stop and clean it.

My Colt is a WWI era Army that I got when I was 16 (or that technically my father bought around that time).
My first Para Ord was a P14-45 Limited.
My first Kimber was a pre series II 5" Custom Classic Target.
My first Springfield was a 4" parkerized Champion Loaded.
My second Springfield was a 4" parkerized Champion G.I. that a friend offered me at a good price. My father has custody of it currently.
Second Kimber was a CDP Ultra series II.
My Third Kimber was a 10mm Eclipse, I think.
My Second Para was a P12-45 that came with 3 Clinton mags.
My RIA is a widebody GI. Takes the same mags as my Para P14-45.
My fourth maybe fifth Kimber was my second CDP Ultra II that the local big box put on sale at a pretty good price.
My fifth maybe fourth Kimber was a 5" Carry that a buddy was going to sell and offered to me first.

I ended up picking up a couple Springfeild EMP 9mms. Found the first one on a big box sale and the second one at the local pawnshop at the same show around the corner barely used at a nice price and ended up buying them both. Could only pick one of them up a month due to Kamala Harris and had to wait at least a month for the first one.

My father also has a Para P14-45 that I had sent to his dealer several years ago along with a handful of mags.

I never got around to doing the .22 LR conversion kit of the 1911.
I have a friend who has a complete Ace kit with two mags that he purchased off a lady who wanted to turn it in. She had called the Sheriff's office and he was sent out. When he explained they COULD take it for her BUT they'd have to destroy it she was flabbergasted and torqued off. She sold it to him so it wouldn't get destroyed. It is the only Ace kit I have had personal experience with and it is actually excellent. Same former LEO has a 9mm 1911, can't recall the make right now but it is pretty fun as it is very accurate. Had me wanting one before I bought the EMPs. I haven't broken them in good yet but if they feed HP reliably I'll probably skip the full sized 9mm 1911.

I've played with a few other 1911 production brands that other folks bought. Several of them seem to work fine. I missed out on a Rock River back before they were really a name. My dealer called me to confirm I wanted what I told her to buy for me and it was gone before she called them back as a national gunrag hit that day featuring them. CA nixed us getting anything much custom at the same time so I was a bit perturbed. The Champion was my consolation 4" gun at less than half the price of the RR. It took me a lot of ammo and hand cycling to break that gun in and make it reliable.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

The Bobwhite came in Tues, but I just picked it up today.

The SKB case needs a little tweakage for the barrel lug area, no big deal. Other than that everything fits fine.

The black chrome finish looks like a "better than standard grade" bluing. The barrels are a little too shiny for my taste, but a bit of black masking tape will fix that and not be permanent.

The lock-up is tight. I haven't been able to test the triggers yet. The laser cut engraving looks pretty nice actually. It doesn't look super fancy or refined. But, it looks better than crappy rollmark engraving. The exterior metal to metal fit is very close, perhaps even perfect. Similarly the wood to metal fit is very close. And, let's just say it's a better wood to metal fit than either of my Ruger Red Labels had.

Saving the best till last.... The stock fits well has a bit of cant for a right-handed shooter. Even though I'm a lefty I shoot right-handed, so that's good. And best of all even with its 28 inch barrels the gun has an overall feel of liveliness. It seems to snap and point quite easily for me. The box lock action is fairly small. So small in fact that I had to check and recheck to make sure it was 12 gauge and not 20. The gun handles like a 20 gauge, and is very light. Locking is via forward moving low mounted wedge (Purdy type?), not crossbolt in the top of the action (Greener type?). I'm not sure what they name those types of locking part styles, but the G2 is different from the original in that respect. The triggers are either a stainless steel or chromed satin silver, dunno which.

On the downside.... The wood is fairly plain. No recoil pad, just buttplate. A buttplate is not really a bad thing. It allows the fitting of a recoil pad to lengthen a stock a bit, or one could always shorten the stock and also add a recoil pad. The buttplate is a little bit rubbery, but not for recoil, and instead just to have something that stays on your shoulder. The laser-cut checkering is crisp but not sharp. There was one very very tiny mar in the checkering, but that might have been handling by the FFL when they received it. And the choke tube wrench isn't there. Once again I'll say it may have been the FFL because they're pretty sloppy. I don't like those flat key like wrenches anyway. I prefer the crank type wrench. No real issue with that, but I'll see if CZ will send me a one, just to say I actually got it when really, I should have gotten it since I paid for it. The FFL swore they didn't lose anything... dunno on that.
Last edited by Reese-Mo on 20 May 2021 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Sounds good, except for the missing wrench.
Need pictures!

I know I've seen guns come in from the distributor that were missing spare mags or the like. I think the thing gets opened at each dealer/distributor it stops at to verify the serial info going into the books is correct as opposed to the box numbers. I once heard of an issue where a guy got the wrong box from the dealer when he bought a pistol. When it was stolen he used the number off the box to report it to the police and that caused some major strife since the serial on the box wasn't registered to him at the state DoJ level.

I've seen some gun boxes that would allow something like a flat wrench to escape. Might not be likely but possible.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Yah, my Rossi had the wrong box...
Drama city here today, maybe pics tomorrow.... 3:30 am and I'm in the middle of a highly suggested voluntary premises vacating process.. .. ..
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I emailed CZ customer service last night, and this morning about 8:05 Kansas time, I got an email from Aaron over there. He asked if I had extended or flush chokes, my address, and ... said he'd get me a wrench post-haste.

Pretty cut and dry, and I thank the CZ folks for stepping up take care of the situation.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Had to use them with regards to a Kadet firing pin not setting off bulk ammo.
They had a redesigned pin and firing pin stop w/ spring on the way to me as soon as they got my letter.
Said they were unprepared for the inexpensive U.S. ammo that spun the primer into the rim as most of the European match stuff didn't and so their previous designed pin worked with the match ammo but not the bulk stuff.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

In today's mail, three days after the phone call, a decent looking choke tube wrench. Not a stamped out thing, but a fully round multi-gauge with nice T-handle (and the nubs for the chokes of course).

The Bobwhite comes with F IM M IC and C chokes. I ordered up an extra Full and Cyl. They got 'em for $10 each on sale. I use F/F for ducks, and C/C for skeet (very rare skeet shooter, mostly informal trap)
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

With two Cylinder chokes, methinks that you’re fixin’ to go slug hunting. That’s surely the acid test for barrel regulation.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I've never hunted with slugs. No need to really, as rifle is allowed here in all places. I just like open chokes, or a Cutts spreader for skeet ( I suck at fast crossing shots)