The Single Actions

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

The Single Actions

Post by Archer »

So I have posted in the Spree thread about buying my first SA revolvers ever.
Here are some pictures of the Rugers I've mentioned in that thread.
Vaquero.JPG
The colors in the camera flash are a bit enhanced vs. the naked eye but it is still a pretty gun.
Shoots well. The grips aren't my favorite but in .357 or .38 the recoil isn't really enough to worry about.
I do sort of wish the hammer and trigger were jeweled instead of gold plated. I am not exactly a fan of the plating. The grips on this guy are a bit of a disappointment. There is nothing exactly striking about them and I find them a bit narrow. My friend's wife likes them better than the more full grips on the blued Single Six below.
New Single Six Mag.JPG
This is the used New Model Single Six I found that only came with the .22 WMR cylinder. The gun is tight and it shoots well so I'm happy. There is a slight area on the frame upper front LHS you can see in the picture that is cosmetic. There is also a small flaw on the backstrap about the size of the head of a pin or so where the finish is missing off the alloy. I may have to get a replacement .22 LR cylinder for it. Might just get a pair of the 8 shot cylinders at some point. These grips fill the hand a little better than the slim grips seem to. I'm still not entirely happy with them. I don't find the grip shape aids in manipulating the gun easily.
SS NM Single Six.JPG
The STAINLESS New Model Single Six convertible that got put on sale right before we went into lockdown.
I was looking this puppy over when one of the guys came running out of the back and slowed down when he saw me with it. I haven't gotten this one to the range yet. The grips on this one are IMO pretty and they are not quite as slim as those on the Vaquero but I think that may be partly just a matter of manufacturing tolerances. (Whups, not only is it that evil SS but it's got laminated grips. GG ain't going to like this.)
Three by.JPG
All three of them together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: The Single Actions

Post by Arroyoshark »

Purty nice trio of thumbusters ya got there.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I wouldn't mind adding a .44 Mag Bisley or two.

In the plow handles I don't think I'd want to go much beyond .44 Sp.

I don't know if I'll even get into the authentic SAs or copies of them. They had a New Colt at the big box shop about two months ago. It was a bit more expensive than I'd want to put any money on. In fact I think it was significantly more than Colt lists on their website. They said they had one ordered at some point earlier and the buyer gave up after about six months.
I'm told there are some nice Italians that run about a third or less compared to the cost of the Colt.
I'm not so sure I want to get into .45 Colt from a standpoint of yet more brass, and bullets.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

1965 6.5" Single Six Magnum with the added (by Ruger, long story) LR cylinder. Got this one with the original box, wax paper, felt bag.

Uberti Cimarron Evil Roy 5.5" .45 Colt.

1978 Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum - I modified and installed the Bisley hammer for looks. I did not change to the awkward looking Bisley frame as I abhor them as much as laminate grips, big loops, stainless lever guns, and 125 grain .38 Special bullets :) Ha! I modified the hand to allow the cylinder to free spin (these lock up out of ejection gate alignment, very frustrating). It also has polished internals and Wolff springs. The trigger is about as good as you can do with the sorry New Model safety hammer system. I'll likely never buy another transfer bar Ruger the rest of my days. I refinished the grips and added the medallions myself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Nice work.

I have a couple of super Blackhawk hammers to install in a New Vaquero and older Blackhawk..
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Good looking guns GG.
I think that's the first time I've seen the first one.

I've been meaning to ask, but don't think I have, how do you like the checkered grips on the Evil Roy compared to the smooth ones?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Archer wrote:Good looking guns GG.
I think that's the first time I've seen the first one.

I've been meaning to ask, but don't think I have, how do you like the checkered grips on the Evil Roy compared to the smooth ones?
They're hand-checkered as part of the E-R package and they're walnut so it's fits my style. I don't notice them when shooting so they must feel pretty natural to me. I don't load that one hot so I might not be able to tell much one way or the other. I stick to medium Colt level loads. Still looking for a leading problem but I haven't done much other than ASSume the chambers are bigger than the bore by feel. I have put one box of OEM (before I had brass, to get brass) and about 18 additional shots through it but I did get to shoot it last week for the first time in over a year.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

There are several specialty grip shops that offer checkered or panel checkered grips for both Rugers and SAA style guns. They aren't exactly something you see a lot of in period authentic revolvers but it is something that had to have happened from time to time.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

They're OEM and original to the gun.

LINK to Evil Roy Competition
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Understood, I had already looked it up from one of your other posts.

I have been considering what, if anything to do with mine as I've never been a particular fan of the way the standard Colt/Ruger grips feel in my hand. I may be getting a little more used to them but they still do not fit. While I find them ok for the mild calibers I have now I don't think I'd be at all happy with them on a heavy recoiling handgun. I also can't help but think that something that fit better might work better in these even though they don't kick much.

I think I've got a couple sets of Ahrend grips for the N frame but they came with some other stuff and I haven't tried them out. The factory target grips on the N frame were totally unacceptable. The inexpensive Hogue rubber grips worked much better and prevented the gun shifting/slamming in my hand. I'd like to try a set of custom ones like on my 686 or Python but I'm not sure I want to mess with something that seems to be working there.

One of the reasons I lean heavily toward the Bisley configuration.