Taurus Ragging Hunter

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Taurus Ragging Hunter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Anyone have any experience with one of these. I'm maybe in the market for a 44 Mag pistol and this sort of appeals to me but I'd like some personal experience. Also thinking about the Super Blackhawk Hunter.
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Taurus Ragging Hunter

Post by Archer »

I have a friend with one of the Raging Bull .44s that he absolutely loved.
Reports from several people indicate they got the grips right on the Raging series.

These guns latch up at the front of the cylinder and the normal rear of the cylinder latch locations.
Sort of like a combination of a Dan Wesson with the traditional Smith latch.
They thus require TWO latches to be manipulated at the same time to swing the cylinder out.
On a hunting weapon this is OK as long as you have two working hands.
Operating the Taurus Raging weapons one handed in terms of a reload is no doubt possible but I suspect it is a bit of a pain.

I personally don't like the idea of a pic rail all the way down the barrel.
I have a Buckmark Contour that has a full length sight rail with cross cuts (not pic) and it doesn't bother me much on a target pistol but it is unlikely to ever go in any kind of holster or carry rig other than a pistol rug.

I don't have much experience with the gun.
I have heard of and seen Taurus revolvers work petty well.
I have also had reports that Taurus revolvers at rental ranges tend to get sent back to Taurus for rebuilding although I have not known of any of the Raging series put in service at rental ranges.

The Taurus is probably the most economical optic ready double action revolver out there.
The Ruger SA Bisley Hunter and SA Hunter are in the same ballpark but I've been told some areas have restrictions that prohibit SA revolvers and require that if you are to use a revolver that it be DA.
The Ruger Super Redhawk will set you back another couple hundred or so but IF the weight doesn't bother you I think I'd seriously consider the Ruger over the Taurus in terms of longevity and if you get it new it will come with scope rings. (Used you have to check for that and keep in mind the cost of getting them after the fact.)

There are aftermarket mounts, My Kodak came with one on it and I had to buy and replace the rear sight.
By the time you bought the mount and rings for a Redhawk you might be well on the road to having paid for the Super Redhawk in the first place.
https://www.jackweigand.com/
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

You should add the S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum to your list. The L frame size fits my hand much better than the Raging Whatevers or the Blackhawk.

I also own an old Taurus 441 (44 Spl), and you can count me in as a Taurus fan.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I tend to lean toward the Smith 29/629 in the .44 mag. I like the Kodiak/Anaconda but they are getting hard to get although Colt claims they will be coming out with new ones in a year or so. That might or might not ever happen.

I haven't really considered the 69 that much although I looked at it when it came out.
For hunting it might make sense.
I don't know that I want to deal with much more recoil than I'm getting out of the full sized 6" .44s.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I believe I'd "lean" away from large bore Taurus revolvers. Overall I don't observe the quality, tolerances or smoothness to be on the same plane as offerings from Smith & Wesson and Ruger. A friend regularly likes to use a S&W Classic Series 5" 629. That is the stainless model with full under-lug barrel, ala 686 series. It would be more controllable for hunting situation than a regular 629. If the S&W 629's have any weakness, I would say they do not stay tight with an abundance of full-house 300 gr.,or heavier, hunting rounds.

Based upon personal experience, I would recommend Ruger's Bisely model .44 Blackhawk over the model with conventional hog leg grip frame. Recoil much easier to manage in my experience.

I hunt with an early 80's Dan Wesson 6-inch .44 mag. Easy to shoot, but need to be comfortable that parts may not be readily available, but it is a fine, accurate revolver, with a good trigger.

I have played with a Colt Anaconda .44 at informal range, and I would put the experience as same as my Dan Wesson. Archer has a collector revolver in that Colt Kodiak. If I and three of my buddies all turned our pockets inside out, we probably could not ante up for that model.

I would assuredly recommend a Ruger Bisely model Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with a 7.5" barrel as the more practical .44 mag hunting revolver out there. Given the long barrel, I would recommend field carry in a bandolier style chest holster. Like my Dan Wesson, that's a lot of barrel to draw from a hip holster.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I got a real deal on that Kodiak AND on the 629 Classic Comp that came with it even for the time.
Prices have exploded compared to when I purchased them. Every once in a while one goes for an almost reasonable price on the auction sites. More often someone thinks they've got a hunk of gold. Those are often still sitting with the seller when the auction is over.

Didn't do bad on the 29-2 that came along about 5 or 6 years ago either.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I would compare apples to apples and consider the S&W's are TWICE the price of a Taurus. I'm not a huge Taurus fan but they're more gun than than half of an S&W. You couldn't give me a Bisley Ruger. I haven't decided if the "recoil management" is an internet myth or simple personal preference but they look like the south end of a north bound cape buffalo.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Please direct all gift BISLEY pattern revolvers to ME.
I think they look fine and they FEEL better than the plow handle versions to me.
(I will also accept traditional pattern revolvers btw.)

As for recoil management,
I KNOW the S&W Factory grips on my 29 stank on ice but the Hogue I put on it immediately made it pleasant to shoot.

I believe in a good fitting grip that doesn't let the gun slam into parts of your hand with a running start.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

GasGuzzler wrote:I would compare apples to apples and consider the S&W's are TWICE the price of a Taurus. I'm not a huge Taurus fan but they're more gun than than half of an S&W. You couldn't give me a Bisley Ruger. I haven't decided if the "recoil management" is an internet myth or simple personal preference but they look like the south end of a north bound cape buffalo.

Looking at the apple cart section of Bud's Guns ....

A Taurus Raging Bull .44 maggie is listed at $675 - $713.

A S&W Classic .44 mag is listed at $790 (5" or 6"), and the regular 629 6" at $771.

A Ruger Bisely Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag is listed at $787

I've had Taurus revolvers in past, and agree with gas guzzler. I'm really not a fan boy either. While I still toy around with a small Rossi revolver, continuing to try and make it all it can be, in my experience the surviving American manufacturers of revolvers incontrovertibly do it better than any foreign manufacturer. Buy once cry once.

At nearly 90 percent of cost of a Smith & Wesson, a Taurus revolver, as gas guzzler implies, may be half the revolver a Smith is ... final fit & finish, machined parts dimensions, as well as action lock up and trigger smoothness is not on par with American revolvers in my opinion.

I can't address personal frame of mind over aesthetics in firearms. That is a "toocheezown" decision. The difference in managed recoil between a Colt style plow handle grip and the Ruger (actually an Elmer Keith design) Bisely grip is real. Neither the Colt plow handle nor the dragoon style were really crafted for holding on to the recoil generated by the big magnum rounds. Those styles are from the black powder era. Before personally deciding, I'd recommend finding an opportunity to shoot magnum rounds with each style.

A single action revolver is a relatively simple design, compared to double action revolvers. A Ruger manufactured single action is freight train tough.

The contemporary Smith & Wesson Revolvers round butt grip frames present more opportunity for finding a good grip to fit any particular shooters hand. The rubber Hogue finger groove grips, and custom wood grips from Ahrends seem to be well suited and comfortable for field use. (Note: I just saw a notice that Kim Ahrends is closing his business, so finding these grips may become more challenging)

Anyone can disagree with my notions, and I imagine plenty of Taurus Raging Bull revolvers undoubtably have been sold to bargain hunters. Everyone has to reach their own conclusion when they open their wallet. buenas suerte !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I just don't know the durability on the Taurus magnum revolvers.

A friend who worked at a range that rented handguns informed me multiple times that they had put Taurus revolvers into service and had to send them to Taurus for repairs. He said the Smiths lasted much longer. In particular the first time he was talking about the Tracker .22 vs. the Smith 617. I do not know that they ever put a .44 Mag from Taurus in service.

I have SEEN a Ruger or two that had seen better days. Most of the time these were Security Six types that had seen a lot of use and/or abuse. Most of the time they were still serviceable.

I did hear of one local guy who sent two or three Ruger revolvers back to Ruger.
The dealer told me that typically the cylinder was cracked through by a failed chamber. Ruger told the dealer not to sell the guy any additional Ruger products and informed the owner if he broke anything else it was on him. Seems he was one of those 'little more powder' type reloaders who didn't know where to quite pushing.
I do NOT have any direct evidence of this however.

I watched several of Miklek's vids last month on Youtube. In one or more he compared various brands of revolvers. I've slept since then but as I recall... At some point he said the reason he shot Smith & Wesson was that when he was buying his own equipment, paying for it and any modifications and repairs on his own dime and making a living with it, the Smith revolvers lasted longer than the competition. The Ruger was harder to tune and the Colt was both harder to tune and more delicate. The Smith lasted longer, was easier to work on and had a strong positive return on the trigger spring that allowed you to know when it was reset.
He did not mention Taurus. Since he is now sponsored by Smith that might be a reason he bypasses them.

I have bought about 80% or more of my revolvers used. I've gotten pretty lucky with prices a time or two during the process. At least I haven't paid anything like going rate I'd have had to pay on a new one when buying used and I've generally gotten one in pretty good shape. One of the things about buying used is that you sometimes don't find exactly what you were looking to get. You have to evaluate the condition and decide if it is worth your time. MOST warranties do not transfer to used guns so if you pick up a problem child fixing it may well be on your dime.
Last edited by Archer on 15 Apr 2020 16:00, edited 4 times in total.