Taurus Ragging Hunter

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Taurus Ragging Hunter

Post by Arroyoshark »

Warranty and repair service may also be a qualifying factor. Even on this forum there are many hit or miss stories dealing with Braztech/Taurus on warranty and repairs. Hear better stories most places about S&W and Ruger customer service.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Arroyoshark wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:I would compare apples to apples and consider the S&W's are TWICE the price of a Taurus. I'm not a huge Taurus fan but they're more gun than than half of an S&W. You couldn't give me a Bisley Ruger. I haven't decided if the "recoil management" is an internet myth or simple personal preference but they look like the south end of a north bound cape buffalo.

Looking at the apple cart section of Bud's Guns ....

A Taurus Raging Bull .44 maggie is listed at $675 - $713.

A S&W Classic .44 mag is listed at $790 (5" or 6"), and the regular 629 6" at $771.

A Ruger Bisely Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag is listed at $787
Yeah but...I don't buy from dealers so I was referring to street prices. You can get just about any Taurus for under $500 but the S&W's somehow go up? I sold a 29-2 for a friend and got nearly $900 for it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You don't want to know what I paid for my 3 44 magnums.

If I were to get a Taurus RB at the same sort of deal I'd probably be paid to take it.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

GasGuzzler wrote:

Looking at the apple cart section of Bud's Guns ....

A Taurus Raging Bull .44 maggie is listed at $675 - $713.

A S&W Classic .44 mag is listed at $790 (5" or 6"), and the regular 629 6" at $771.

A Ruger Bisely Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 mag is listed at $787
Yeah but...I don't buy from dealers so I was referring to street prices. You can get just about any Taurus for under $500 but the S&W's somehow go up? I sold a 29-2 for a friend and got nearly $900 for it.[/quote]

Thought we were on an apples to apples program. You’ve given only a generalized opinion of Taurus revolver pricing plus a single anecdotal sales price on a particular S&W model, 29-2, a highly regarded and now sought after “dash 2” model series. I get the gist of your remarks, but places like Guns America and Gunbroker don’t support your pricing notion for a used Taurus Raging .Bull .44.

What is equal is that the Taurus Raging Bull, S&W 629 and Ruger Bisley Hunter are all .44 magnum revolvers. What does not achieve parity is the quality of manufacture, sturdiness, action smoothness and repeatable accuracy, lacking in Taurus revolvers when stacked up against the two major U.S. brands. This, in my opinion, is reflected by lower used prices, whatever those average prices may be. In support of your comments, I have never lost money when selling a S&W. I can’t say the same for three Taurus revolvers I offloaded over the years.

Given the horribly disastrous consequences this current pandemic is having on our country’s economy, when I shop for firearms, particularly now, I want to support U.S. manufacturing. It gives me confidence as well that the two major domestically produced brands are of very high quality. Both companies have a rep for exceptional customer service.

Your abhorrence of particular firearms features is certainly entertaining, but definitely “toocheezown”. Undoubtably your tastes are for old school aesthetic, and Archer enjoys being your counterpoint.

At this point we must have the OP, Ohio3wheel’s, head spinning ...
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Nothing particularly wrong with liking what you like. Of course that extends to the fact that everyone has a right to like what THEY like even if it isn't what YOU like.

I try to give a bit of how I've reached my position and to clearly state what is my experience vs. opinion and to also note when something is what I've been told by someone else.

I've got nothing against old school but over the years I've progressed to the point where my tastes have evolved to the point I can appreciate stainless and even polymer on occasion. I have always had some affinity for a nice laminated stock. That might be partly because most of the ones I've dealt with tend to be solid Faijen or Boyd's types and not ones with inferior glues and sawdust lams. I have even come to accept that polymer firearms can be ok and after 20 years or so have gotten into ARs. I do own ONE 'chromed' firearm and that one was thrown in on a multiple item deal partly because the seller knew I still had an aversion to bright shiny guns and wasn't exactly a plastic stock guy. So far I have avoided the TiN or Gold plated semi-autos or revolvers that show up in this area from time to time. IF I ran across a $900 Desert Eagle in .44 Mag and .50 AE LNIB with a couple spare mags the way a friend of mine did I might have to buy it even if it was TiN coated. (The one he got was black.)