Small handguns

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
GasGuzzler

Re: Small handguns

Post by GasGuzzler »

If money were no object I would have the Sig Sauer P365 and a Kimber Ultra Carry II but I have what I have instead.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Arroyoshark wrote:Well now, that is all sumpthin' ...

<snip>

I would enjoy hearing the experience of others with small, micro-9nn's, especially those that are hammer fired.

+corn
end <snip>

I have 2 that might fit. My first small carry gun was a Star FireStar 9mm unfortunately no longer available on the new market built like a tank and weighs like one. My current choice of 9mm is the Sig P938, hammer fired a sort of 911 clone, well made accurate and easy to carry. I too don't care much for striker fired hand guns but I grew up on 1911s and clones and I'm mostly too old to change my ways.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Arroyoshark wrote:My mind keeps wandering back to the CZ RAMI. Had not been aware of it before mention here. It is small, holds 10 rounds with flush mag, has old school long double action I suppose, but I like the option of cocked and locked if holster is right.
The RAMI is a double action and comes in two versions. The safety version for cocked and locked carry and the decocker version, which decocks to a half-cock position, which is a shorter and lighter pull of about 8lbs. compared to a manually fully lowered hammer which makes a longer 10lb+ pull.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

zippy wrote:
Arroyoshark wrote:My mind keeps wandering back to the CZ RAMI. Had not been aware of it before mention here. It is small, holds 10 rounds with flush mag, has old school long double action I suppose, but I like the option of cocked and locked if holster is right.
The RAMI is a double action and comes in two versions. The safety version for cocked and locked carry and the decocker version, which decocks to a half-cock position, which is a shorter and lighter pull of about 8lbs. compared to a manually fully lowered hammer which makes a longer 10lb+ pull.

Thanks for the description of each version. Those two options seem to open up a lot of versatility. I need to get them in my hands and play with them to see which controls I might prefer.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
Arroyoshark wrote:Well now, that is all sumpthin' ...

<snip>

I would enjoy hearing the experience of others with small, micro-9nn's, especially those that are hammer fired.

+corn
end <snip>

I have 2 that might fit. My first small carry gun was a Star FireStar 9mm unfortunately no longer available on the new market built like a tank and weighs like one. My current choice of 9mm is the Sig P938, hammer fired a sort of 911 clone, well made accurate and easy to carry. I too don't care much for striker fired hand guns but I grew up on 1911s and clones and I'm mostly too old to change my ways.
Make smoke,

I have had opportunity to try a Sig 938 SAS. Boy that is a nice little piece of business. I have muscle memory for sweeping a 1911 safety off.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

What's the rub with striker fired for y'all? Is it just a way things are issue or is there worry of mechanical failure?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:What's the rub with striker fired for y'all? Is it just a way things are issue or is there worry of mechanical failure?
Probably just me, cut my pistol teeth on a gun with a hammer and safety and see no particular reason to change at 75. Full disclosure I do own one H&K a PK2000 in 357 Sig. It was Linda's she carried it for a while until she moved on to her Sigs. It's a fairly pleasant gun to shoot and I get it out now and then when I know I'll be able to recover most of the spent cases.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

GasGuzzler wrote:What's the rub with striker fired for y'all? Is it just a way things are issue or is there worry of mechanical failure?
From my wrinkly brain, three mechanical reasons emerge ~

1. Glop and its patently similar clones are striker fired, dbl action only pieces. The Glops have taken over largest portion of law enforcement market. At least LEO's carry them in appropriate safe duty holsters. Glops and their likes have a unique half cock ready that makes the trigger pull lighter, very smooth in many cases. This design has shown in enough cases to be unsafe for the way most civilians prefer to carry these things. Because there is not a mechanical hammer safety, dinky Glops carried in pockets have accidentally discharged because the pocket holster, or lack of, and carrier's posture have dislodged the trigger safety lever and allowed the trigger to actuate. There is at least one or two videos on youtube and articles elsewhere where Glops carried in worn leather holsters have discharged when carrier sits down. I am not personally an advocate of carrying such designed little semi's for civilian pocket or other common concealed carry, other than perhaps a shoulder rig.

2. I apprenticed to a gunsmith for a few years and occasionally striker fired semi's would come in that would not stay cocked. The sear would slip from the striker with slight jarring of firearm. It is usually due to wear, or abuse, but there it is. Quite a few smaller caliber striker fired semi's ( pre Glop) would easily "slip the sear". Same can rarely happen with hammer fired firearms as well, but really only saw that on a couple 1911's that were tuned with too light of springs and experienced following hammer. Archer will likely understand this one.

3. The argument for striker fired handguns is that a striker fired mechanism is simpler, fewer parts linear mechanism, compared to the hammer fired handguns wherein a hammer is a rotational impact mechanism. The plus to most hammer fired handguns is two fold; first there is the real potential for a better trigger response, and second, there is the re-strike capability in the event of light primer strike. There are exceptions to this, the Ruger .22 autos come to mind, being hammer fired, but lack re-strike capability.

So, personally, I prefer the qualities of a hammer fired semi-auto, especially in dinky handguns, and this is where i would limit my research for a pocket nine.

I recognize this could become a Ford vs. Chevy kind of discussion, with perhaps equal advocates of either, but I qualify my response as a personal belief.

I also have to disclose a personal bias against Glock. Having personally observed the low-ball marketing scheme of Gaston Glock to lure agencies to make bulk purchases of his products, thereby, undercutting our domestic arms manufacturers, who produce fine handguns, I will never carry the banner for that brand.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

I've all four actions in my regular carry rotation. Here's how I feel about them.
DA - 686, arthritis makes quick follow-up shots difficult with the long reset.
SA - P238, safety has come off unintentionally, leading to a preference for non-safety carry.
Striker - Shield, too light a trigger to carry WO safety, and now prefer no-safety carry.
DA/SA - PCR, Long and firm first trigger pull feels very safe to carry WO a safety, short/light follow-up trigger easy on the arthritis. Holstering it with my thumb on the hammer adds to confidence, and I also shoot it best of all my carry options.

The Walther P99 ASC is a striker action that decocks, and I'd probably be OK with it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

So it's mostly a way things are issue with some internet stories of mechanical failure. Since I work in retail repair, I know for a fact all designs have flaws and can and do fail. I'd never buy a stainless lever gun or mount a scope on one but that doesn't make it wrong to do so.