Colt Pythons might be coming back?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Colt Pythons might be coming back?

Post by Archer »

https://colt.com/python?fbclid=IwAR2c4b ... wI9M2HByzg

New production, stainless only, 6" and 4.25" barrels, CNC, fewer parts, expensive.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Colt Pythons might be coming back?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

357. Meh.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Stainless Meh
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I never owned a Colt "snake gun" (wouldn't fit my hands or my budget), but I always admired the quality and precision put into the finish. If Colt could even reproduce that today, they would probably run $3k per

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've already mentioned a number of my comments about the reissue but I will say that...

1) I have no problems with .357 Magnum. I own several and I wouldn't mind another one or three.

2) Stainless is not always a bad thing. Of the guns I own probably a quarter to a third of the handguns are stainless and maybe as many as a quarter of the rifles have stainless barrels or are stainless. I own 3 stainless lever guns and I'd like to get a Rossi 92 in .357 in a 20" RB stainless. As for Pythons I'd love the Colt Royal Blue to be on the new ones. About seven years ago or so I had a chance at a somewhat distressed Python. I checked and Colt was forecasting about a two year delay for refinishing. IMO Colt doesn't have the skilled labor in general and doesn't have the capacity in particular to do Colt Royal Blue in the traditional sense at anything resembling a production rate.

3) Meh? I'm tempted to respond to that but I'll probably wait at least a little while.
I will say that it would be nice if they decide to follow the Python with the Anaconda.

4) I can understand the expense being a problem. I've been lucky enough that I've been able to pick up a number of nice guns over the years but I've nearly always tried to get a decent deal and that doesn't generally mean according to market price but according to what I think I'm getting. I have no doubt paid a bit more than I'd like a few times or even a bit more than maybe I should have a time or two but I try to get good value for what I spend. What Colt is sticking on these guns as a MSRP is a bit steep in my opinion and takes into consideration the current prices of vintage Pythons in spite of the fact that these will NOT be vintage guns.

5) For years I bought guns that 'fit my hand' and 'felt good'. I avoided revolvers in general because they did NEITHER. Eventually I had a chance to purchase a couple .44 Magnum revolvers at about half what they should have been selling at or maybe even a quarter. I got them in large part because I had a Wincheter 94 in that caliber already. After about ten years I started collecting revolvers and appreciating them. I still find that traditional factory S&W target grips don't fit my hands and in heavy recoiling guns (read .44 Mag level) actively HURT. I think S&W service grips are if anything worse as they seem to be designed for people with three year old hands. I have a Colt Trooper MKIII in .357 that has some of the most comfortable grips for me for that power level that I've ever shot. The gun is comfortable and easy to control. I have added Hogue rubber finger groove grips to a Smith 29 and it went from ANNOYING and PAINFUL to a very comfortable shooting gun firing the exact same ammunition. I have added Hogue wood grips with fish scale checkering to a Smith 686 and to a Colt Python that are very comfortable. The Colt had small panel grips on it at the time. If it had the target grips shown at the link above I probably would have left it alone. Current Ruger SA grips are thin and tiny and I'm told are designed for kids and women who are playing Cowboy Action games with the powder puff loads that are about twice the strength of roll caps. It bites to have to change the grips on a gun in order for it to be comfortable and controllable but I've found many revolvers require it. And the grips I like the most usually aren't exactly inexpensive.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Archer wrote:I've already mentioned a number of my comments about the reissue but I will say that...

1) I have no problems with .357 Magnum. I own several and I wouldn't mind another one or three.

2) Stainless is not always a bad thing. Of the guns I own probably a quarter to a third of the handguns are stainless and maybe as many as a quarter of the rifles have stainless barrels or are stainless. I own 3 stainless lever guns and I'd like to get a Rossi 92 in .357 in a 20" RB stainless. As for Pythons I'd love the Colt Royal Blue to be on the new ones. About seven years ago or so I had a chance at a somewhat distressed Python. I checked and Colt was forecasting about a two year delay for refinishing. IMO Colt doesn't have the skilled labor in general and doesn't have the capacity in particular to do Colt Royal Blue in the traditional sense at anything resembling a production rate.

3) Meh? I'm tempted to respond to that but I'll probably wait at least a little while.
I will say that it would be nice if they decide to follow the Python with the Anaconda.

4) I can understand the expense being a problem. I've been lucky enough that I've been able to pick up a number of nice guns over the years but I've nearly always tried to get a decent deal and that doesn't generally mean according to market price but according to what I think I'm getting. I have no doubt paid a bit more than I'd like a few times or even a bit more than maybe I should have a time or two but I try to get good value for what I spend. What Colt is sticking on these guns as a MSRP is a bit steep in my opinion and takes into consideration the current prices of vintage Pythons in spite of the fact that these will NOT be vintage guns.

5) For years I bought guns that 'fit my hand' and 'felt good'. I avoided revolvers in general because they did NEITHER. Eventually I had a chance to purchase a couple .44 Magnum revolvers at about half what they should have been selling at or maybe even a quarter. I got them in large part because I had a Wincheter 94 in that caliber already. After about ten years I started collecting revolvers and appreciating them. I still find that traditional factory S&W target grips don't fit my hands and in heavy recoiling guns (read .44 Mag level) actively HURT. I think S&W service grips are if anything worse as they seem to be designed for people with three year old hands. I have a Colt Trooper MKIII in .357 that has some of the most comfortable grips for me for that power level that I've ever shot. The gun is comfortable and easy to control. I have added Hogue rubber finger groove grips to a Smith 29 and it went from ANNOYING and PAINFUL to a very comfortable shooting gun firing the exact same ammunition. I have added Hogue wood grips with fish scale checkering to a Smith 686 and to a Colt Python that are very comfortable. The Colt had small panel grips on it at the time. If it had the target grips shown at the link above I probably would have left it alone. Current Ruger SA grips are thin and tiny and I'm told are designed for kids and women who are playing Cowboy Action games with the powder puff loads that are about twice the strength of roll caps. It bites to have to change the grips on a gun in order for it to be comfortable and controllable but I've found many revolvers require it. And the grips I like the most usually aren't exactly inexpensive.
A guy on a local forum here had a NIB Rossi 92, stainless, 20" round barrel, .357 mag - listed for $400. Said he'd only put 40 rounds through it, still has the box. Let me know if you want more info, I'll try to put you two together. If he still has it.....

<edit> Oh hell, never mind. I just checked his ad and it's been sold. Sorry.....
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Thanks for the thought.

I'm sort of trying to hold off on most firearms purchases at the moment.
$400 doesn't sound too bad but it doesn't exactly scream out as something I have to buy now.

My 20" SS RB .44 was less than $300 out the door.
$400 wouldn't be bad.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Archer wrote:I've already mentioned a number of my comments about the reissue but I will say that...

Well, the most wonderful thing for gunnies is that, at least yet in our time, there are nearly as many firearm models and design features as there are opinions about them. In this case, "Praise Diversity" in things that go 'kaboom'.

I admired the Colt Python when it was still in production years ago, even got to try out a buddy's Python. No doubt they are smooth operators. With the five fulcrum action, however, what a booger to replace worn hands and retime. Before I could fall victim to the Colt Python mystique I was lucky enough to fall into a good deal on an early S&W 586. Now there is an L-frame action that really comes into its own after a few hundred rounds through it. Glad I took that path. See ... an opinion.

In the link Archer provided it says the msrp is $1,495 for the 6-inch model. In reality that is not so out of this world for a revolver like that. Perhaps too it is a well tuned Trooper style action this time. Enthusiasts think nothing of forking out twice that amount for a Wilson or Brown, etc. 1911, or even a vintage Colt Gold Cup.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith