Sig P238 .380 AUTO

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Sig P238 .380 AUTO

Post by Archer »

So I picked up one of these with the alloy frame a month or so ago.
I've been wanting a Colt .380 Government since I was in college and never managed to get one.
The Sig P238 is essentially a Colt Mustang with the trademark square cornered slide and a better guide rod.
(Due to Arnold's stupidity we also have a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator neither of which makes a firearm safer, more reliable or in any way better.)

In any event, the little Sig, with the exception that the grip and the barrel should both be 3/8" longer has been EXCELLENT. The gun with the six round flush magazine is ok although for any normal sized hand it is a two finger grip leaving the pinky no purchase at all. With the extended 7 round magazine with the grip extension it is darned near perfect. I've run probably a hundred and a half to two hundred ball rounds through it with 5 coworkers with zero malfunctions. Ammo has been Remington MC and 100 grain RNFP from Ammo Valley.

The gun comes with 1 six round magazine and extra magazines are around $35-$44 each depending on where you find them. Aftermarket ones are available for $20 from Metaform. I picked up 2 extra 6 round mags and 3 7 round ones with the grip extensions. The gun also comes with a snap on plastic trigger guard for carrying the gun in a pocket or maybe purse but I don't care for it. Unlike the Colt 1911 the safety can be engaged and the slide can still be manipulated and the gun loaded or unloaded.

The alloy frame makes it quite light but other than one newish shooter nobody else noticed the recoil at all.
Sig makes a steel framed HD model but as I assumed I might at some point want to use this as a carry option I figured the light weight would probably print less and be less intrusive making it more likely to be carried if I ever move out of LA county to somewhere I might be able to exercise such a right.

The shop I hang out at has sold several of these and they are a favorite among folks who have issues pulling back the slide on most semi autos.

I wish Sig had chosen to copy the Govt instead of the Mustang/Pocketlite but it's a good reliable package. I'm quite happy with it.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Sig P238 .380 AUTO

Post by Arroyoshark »

Have used an older HD model, quite accurate, easy to use. So much softer shooting than blowback models like the Walther PPK's. I am not familiar with the plastic trigger guard you speak of.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The trigger is metal, on a pivot, not a stirrup like the 1911.

The gun came with a little plastic snap on half holster, what I referred to as a trigger guard.
I don't care for it because it is likely IMO to damage the finish of the guard where it snaps on.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have debated one of these to replace my cheap keltec PTA3 I love the look and features. Its a baby 1911 +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

These are pretty awesome IMO and due to the delayed unlocking of the breach they don't have the slamming recoil most pure blowbacks seem to have.
Again I think the larger grip would be the way to go but I understand how using the smaller frame allows them to put a grip extension on a longer mag where using a longer frame can't be made smaller.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

We love ours and my daily carry is its big brother, 938.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah, CA's silly posterior Extortion List and Arnold's approval of and Kamala Harris's confirmation of microstamping means we'll never get the 938 in CA unless we manage to get one used that was purchased and then sold by a LEO since they are exempt from the so called safety requirements that our ruling class have enacted on the peons.