Spree...

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Spree...

Post by Archer »

I was going through my parts bins and I found I am shy one or two mid length gas tubes and probably have more than a couple rifle length ones extra. I gave one mid length to a bud who was building a .308 with a similar 18" fluted barrel and instead of replacing it he tossed me his spare rifle length one that I really didn't need.

I've got two or three .308 Winchester barrels I won't be using. They are short and stout. A friend got them through Apex. They look exactly like an 18" Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage 4150 CromoV.

Still have parts for at least one 6.5 Grendel upper and lower. Need at least a handguard for yet another one.

Have parts for at least a couple .223 Wylde builds. Need at least one more rifle length handguard for my SPR barrel. I probably should have gotten a mid length gas system on that one instead of the rifle length one.

Need another couple scope mounts and a few sets of back up sights. Still need some ambi selectors and some upgraded charging handles.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Next build will be a 20" AR-15 .223 Wylde fluted SS barrel 1:8 twist, standard .75" low profile gas block and rifle length gas tube. This is a AR Stoner barrel I've had for a few years and I picked up one 20" and a couple 16" ones over the course of a couple sales. It is unmarked as to manufacturer but I've seen some speculation these barrels were produced by Bear Creek Arsenal. I've seen detailed examinations of barrels from BCA and they range from quite good to basically unfinished (missing crowns for example.) I have used a few BCA barrels before and haven't noted any deficiencies with the ones I've run. This one appears to be decent but I haven't done a borascope examination of any of them. I would love to compare this one up close to a White Oak Armory DMR barrel. Comparing it to my WOA SPR 18" barrel it is a larger diameter and much heavier. I would be using the SPR barrel for this build but it makes more sense to pair that barrel with a lighter stock and maybe a lighter scope than I'll be using on this one. I can always swap the uppers and lowers around once the guns are built.

Other parts that I'll use in this build include:
Aero Precision Lower Mated to a Mil-Spec Forged upper.
Geissele SSA/E trigger, Ambi selector, mil-spec parts for the rest of the LPK.
Fail Zero BCG, probably use a Mil-spec charging handle for now.
MagPul PRS stock, rifle extension tube, spring and buffer.
Midwest 15" free float handguard.
VG7 Gamma compensator/brake

For CA compliance I'll be using a Strike Industries finned grip. When combined with the brake that will make the gun 'featureless'.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Hopefully I can get started on the .223 Wylde this weekend...
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Gun of the month club.... yup. But in FL there is no waiting period for carry permit holders - we got something right for a change. Even so, the last firearm, I had to wait to the next day, because of the "instant background check" backlog. They quote an estimated wait time. Mine was 12 hours. Last time it was 5 hours. When I picked up an AK up in Port Orange, the wait was two hours, several years ago. That was good enough to go get lunch (and the real biker bar in Volusia county is right across the highway... location is everything).

Good luck on that .223 Wylde!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

In CA the CCW trumps the waiting period as well but MOST major counties with large cities in them refuse to issue permits to anyone other than select VIPs.

Last year before the election the LA county sheriff announced he MIGHT issue half again as many ccw permits as he had previously issued. Essentially he was stating he MIGHT issue as many as 600 permits for the entire county of LA. I took it to mean that he needed campaign contributions from wealthy movie actors.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

That's nutz.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Had some things come up that postponed this build a little.
Good news is I can probably afford to get a couple improvement parts for a couple of my builds and maybe switch some optics to some more appropriate choices on a rifle or two in the near future.
JimN
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JimN »

I just read through this thread and I am alternately saddened, perturbed, and jealous. Two things keep popping in and out of my head as I type this. California sucks and all I want right now is a 20ga Stoeger Coach gun with double triggers
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Most of what I've done over the past year and a half has been assembly of AR parts I already owned on receivers I already owned.

There are a few things I wouldn't mind getting but there's not much that I 'need' in terms of new guns.

I would like to get my HKs built by a builder who knows their stuff. I need to get on his schedule if he's making bookings. I want to get a very few parts that are new like springs and I need a couple parts that I missed getting a year or three ago and turn him loose. Problem is those parts have become real hard to get in the past year and the builder has been busy. I also have to locate the compliance wrap I bought for the 91 build that has apparently taken a walk. I don't want to pay $50-$60 for a $10 piece of kydex.

I just took another quick look for that Kydex and instead found a couple new in package Beretta mags. They are NEOS mags so it's not like they are standard mags for the 92 or Px4. Still the NEOS isn't a bad little plinker and any gun with 4 or 6 factory quality mags is better than the same gun with 2 or 4 mags.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

When I saw an S&W 4516 for sale locally by someone I'd traded with before, my NEO and three mags were for sale immediately. Put some OEM 9X19 with it and it sold in minutes, picked up in hours, and I the 4516 hand delivered all before lunch the first day. I still have a Shield9 if I want a micro-gun.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.