.22 caliber revolvers

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

.22 caliber revolvers

Post by massmanute »

What are some good .22 caliber revolvers (any brand)?

Interest would be either single or double action, but probably favoring double action.

Any barrel length and quality level would be of interest but probably not favoring a snub nose barrel or extremely expensive model.

Thanks.

massmanute
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: .22 caliber revolvers

Post by pricedo »

massmanute wrote:What are some good .22 caliber revolvers (any brand)?

Interest would be either single or double action, but probably favoring double action.

Any barrel length and quality level would be of interest but probably not favoring a snub nose barrel or extremely expensive model.

Thanks.

massmanute
Smith & Wesson Model 18.
22LR version of Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Mag.
I have both the 18 and the 19.........4" barrel DA editions .....very accurate and smooth.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Thanks Pricedo,

I have just barely started looking into this topic, as in an hour or two ago.

Along the way I learned about the Ruger LCR-22. It seems to be getting good reviews. I realize that this gun has a short barrel, which somewhat goes against what I said in my first post. Also, it seems to be double action only (no single action operation), which is not ideal. However, I have seen a lot of enthusiastic reviews of this revolver, many of the commenting on a great trigger pull.

It seems to be a fun gun that could double up as a concealed carry gun. It's only .22 caliber, which some people might not agree with as a concealed carry gun. However, for a relatively inexperienced woman (who might end up with the gun) I figure it's better to get something that is mild to shoot and easy to master than for her to try to master some kind of hand cannon right off the bat. Besides, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a .22 shot, so I expect it would actually be an adequate defensive weapon, or at least a lot better than nothing.

An interesting thing about this model is that Ruger also makes very similar models in .38 special and .357 magnum, which would provide a convenient upgrade path, if an upgrade were ever needed.

Hey, maybe I should get an LC-22 for me too.

I also noticed that Rossi has a new .22 caliber revolver.

I'm still open to other ideas in addition to the excellent comments from Pricedo.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Rossi Plinker caught my eye last week when I went to their web site to look up a year of manufacturer on a firearm.
Plinker.jpg
I then looked at Davidison's Gallery of Guns and out the door of my local gun store it is $312 which is very tempting.

Ahhh, see you made it! Congrats!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Ranch Dog wrote:The Rossi Plinker caught my eye last week when I went to their web site to look up a year of manufacturer on a firearm.
Plinker.jpg
I then looked at Davidison's Gallery of Guns and out the door of my local gun store it is $312 which is very tempting.

Ahhh, see you made it! Congrats!
Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I second the Smith & Wesson Model 18 My step dad has one and it is a jewel, smooth trigger, and nice blueing as well. I love my ruger single six as well can convert to .22 mag as well but it is a single action.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

that plinker look's like a nice pistol. i have a Heratige Rough Rider 6''SA that i really like. they are a lower end pistol, but they do hold up well, i've had mine for over 15yrs and have shot countless rounds though it, and is still in sound condition.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

My uncle bought a rough rider when I got my single six it may not be as refined but it shoots great for the money very hard to beat.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I have two, A Single Six Bisley, 6.5" and a stainless 4" S & W 22 Mag., Model 651. I like 'em both but prefer to carry the Smith because it carries so well.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

izzyjoe wrote:that plinker look's like a nice pistol. i have a Heratige Rough Rider 6''SA that i really like. they are a lower end pistol, but they do hold up well, i've had mine for over 15yrs and have shot countless rounds though it, and is still in sound condition.
My dad has the HRR, with the Magnum cylinder, that pistol is louder than my Taurus 450 chambered in 45 Colt. I can't wear enough ear protection to cover up the "crack" at the shot. It has served him well for about 5 years.
Michael