New plinker

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
scottz

New plinker

Post by scottz »

I picked up a new to me Ruger MarkIII yesterday. Boy is it accurate. Tomorrow I will order an accurizing kit to replace all the internals including an adjustable trigger. A scope mount is already ordered. Now to decide on which red dot to get and try to find some ammo.

+guns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: New plinker

Post by Model 52 »

Nice pistol!

I still shoot my Mk II a lot. I used to shoot it in Bullseye competition with a Volquartsen trigger and sear along with a lightweight hammer, a high speed firing pin, and an extended slide release. It was plenty accurate, but it was also very sensitive to ammo and prone to light strikes. Eventually I just migrated back to the stock hammer and firing pin, retaining the Volquartsen trigger and sear. The trigger pull is still great but it's much more reliable, and that was much more important by then as I was using it in the .22 caliber class at bowling pin shoots, where one malfunction would condemn you to a long day of shooting your way up the losers bracket and two would put you out of contention.

I've also tried a couple styles of after market grips but I have found that they need to be sufficiently still in the required spot to keep the pin from walking out.

The only red dot I will put on a pistol is an Ultradot. They are durable enough to take the beating they get, yet are small enough, light enough and low profile enough not to make the pistol harder to handle. They are also basically parallax free, unlike many red dot sights that have significant parallax issues, and that is critical on a pistol. I prefer the smaller original 25mm/1" tube model, but the Match dot is nice if you want more reticle choices.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice!!!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Model 52 is dead on. Alot of comp. rimfire pistol users have this sight ultradot matchdot you can change the size of your dot to work best for your caliber. These have a good rep. at rimfirecentral.com
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ultradot-ma ... sight.html
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have a MK2 also I shoot when up north there. About all you can say is they work. Saw a Ruger down here in one of our 2 gun stores today. Was rather shocked as I got used to seeing just the European .22's sitting in the glass case.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
scottz

Post by scottz »

I got in the Volquartsen kit on Friday, and in about 45 minutes managed to strip the gun, clean it out good and install the new parts. It sure does make a difference in feel. Also, found a local shop with Federal 325 count cans in stock, limit one though. I'll have to stop off again after work tomorrow and see if I can grab another. I also got my scope mount on. At the moment, all I have to put on it is an ancient Bushnell Magnum Phantom 2.5. The range I was at made it difficult to do any type of braced or supported shooting, the scope sure magnifies any movement. I may try for a Burris Fastfire for this one.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk HD
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Godspeed for the ammo my friend. Very cool pistol too! I lucked out and got two 1k boxes at Walmart through dumb luck. But around here there is still NOTHING on the shelves at Walmart.