Probably my last AR to build... 22lr

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Probably my last AR to build... 22lr

Post by Reese-Mo »

No pictures yet. A while ago I decided to put together a dedicated upper that I could put on either of my two SBRs. Lately I thought, what the heck let's just make that dedicated upper a complete rifle.

I'm sure this will raise a few eyebrows, but I got one of those PSA "US Govt. Property M16A4 5.56mm" marked lowers inbound. The rifle will have MBUS sights, and YHM tube, Geissele SSA trigger. I also go a nice "adapter" to use SW MP-22 mags, and it works well.

I've only shot the upper with an Aimpoint and single loaded subsonic Remington ammo, but it cloverleafed them at 25 meters.

I'll grab a few snaps when it arrives later in the week.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Probably my last AR to build... 22lr

Post by Archer »

I've still got a couple .308 scale receiver sets that I MIGHT build if I don't pass them along to someone who wants them more than I do.

I've also got 2-4 AR lowers and several uppers.
I think I'll be building a couple more .223 Wylde guns and at least one more 6.5 Grendel.
I'd like to make a lightweight 6.5 but the current parts set I've got is for another 20" That's just about everything except the handguard.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Probably my last AR to build... 22lr

Post by Reese-Mo »

Well, no fixing the lawnmower on the rental property, so... I hauled butt 50 miles to my FFL, got the lower - fortunately with a 10 minute background check wait.

The lower is nicely made, but did have a few tiny imperfections in the anodizing. That's ok, I'm good for a few more imperfections where that trigger guard roll pin goes and where the bolt hold open roll pin goes. And of course where the castle nut gets staked to the end plate. Oh well, that's why they make flat black enamel....

The "parts kit" was CMMG, and its hard to really screw up small springs and pins. Only gripe is the magazine release button and rear takedown screw are "shiny" not matte finish. I care not, this is a "take with me" .22 rifle.

I did have to order a grip, a trigger guard and the trigger innards. The first two are no-name from Brownell's, the latter is from Geiselle. I ordered a G2S, but put it in one of the SBR's that had the SSA in it already. That particular SSA is extra sweet feeling, so I put it in the little dedicated .22. I figured I'm more likely to be aiming at small stuff with the .22, like a turkey, squirl, so it got the nicer trigger. The upper has been together for a while, with YHM tube and CMMG .22 dedicated barrel, so no issues there.

I'll see if I can grab a pic or three in the next day or so.