R92 Fix when Rifle Not Accepting Full Length Cartridges

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R92 Fix when Rifle Not Accepting Full Length Cartridges

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm shooting my two R92s with a cast bullet of my design which is a 175-grain, round, flat bullet. The cartridge has an OAL of 1.590" and my rifles swallow it up without issue. I have learned that I'm a bit lucky in that respect as it appears that issues with cartridge feed is common with the R92 in 357 Mag based on what I have seen reported here. I did experience a feed issue with full length cartridges in my R92 chambered in 454 Casull and I successfully solved it by adjusting the aft edge of the "cartridge rim" cutout in the cartridge guides.

There is an R92 sitting on my bench that the owner wants to shoot my cast bullet but they will not cycle, so I looked at it this evening. It was my thought that it might be best to work on this "cutout" with the guides in the rifle to avoid so many assembly cycles and I wanted to do the work with the simplest of tools, a file. Here is the issue, we have seen a number of pictures just like this on this forum.
cartridge_guides01.jpg
With the flat file, I carefully inserted it into the receiver up against the cartridge guides while maintaining the angle that was cut by Rossi. Using 10 solid strokes at a time, I worked each side equally.
cartridge_guides02.jpg
The only contact the file is making is with aft edge of the cutout, maintaining the angle that was cut into it, just simply moving it further back. I used the large file to cover the entire edge surface with the single stroke in order to keep it uniform and to limit the stroke I would be able to take, not a lot of movement at all.

In 6 sets testing it between the sets of 10, 60 strokes in total, the cartridge would cycle every time. It took about 10 minutes and the work required very little of a change. Before starting I took some measurements of the cartridge guide cutouts on my rifles against this rifle and the difference between working and not working is very small. This would probably be easey work with a Dremel tool using a drum/barrel sander but my preference typically is with hand tools. My worry with that tool is that the cut would have a circumference rather than a flat edge like the original cut.

Ended up not disassembling the rifle, just blew it out. It is ready for hog hunting!

DIY92
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R92 Fix when Rifle Not Accepting Full Length Cartridges

Post by Arktikos »

Glad that worked out well doing it that way.. May be me doing it someday when I finally get a .357 rifle that I have been wanting for a while now. There is NO WAY I am allowing my Dremel in the same room with any of my guns! I know thyself too well for that! :roll: So many of these threads deserve sticky status...
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:There is NO WAY I am allowing my Dremel in the same room with any of my guns! I know thyself too well for that! :roll:
I know what you mean, I have one but do not keep it in my reloading/gun room.
Arktikos wrote:So many of these threads deserve sticky status...
I appreciate the comments but as the Admin you will find that I'm really sticky shy, that is what good topic titles and the search box is for. Many forums have nothing but stickies on the first page, MarlinOwners is really bad about it, prevents you from seeing many of the new posts. There is so many that you cannot find the sticky you were looking for.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:There is NO WAY I am allowing my Dremel in the same room with any of my guns! I know thyself too well for that! :roll:
I know what you mean, I have one but do not keep it in my reloading/gun room.
Arktikos wrote:So many of these threads deserve sticky status...
I appreciate the comments but as the Admin you will find that I'm really sticky shy, that is what good topic titles and the search box is for. Many forums have nothing but stickies on the first page, MarlinOwners is really bad about it, prevents you from seeing many of the new posts. There is so many that you cannot find the sticky you were looking for.
Well I have to agree .. too many stickies tend to muck it up to the point that they are ignored. Still it is a good resource for us Rossi owners to have these sorts of fixes described with photos.and when I see something I may need someday I often make a pdf so I can print it later ...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Resurrecting this old thread as I had something to add to it. I just got my 454 Casull dies and brass recently (still no small rifle primers anywhere!) and decided to make some dummy rounds using the new 454 brass and some 325gr Beartooth bullets. I had made some long dummy rounds using this same bullet with Colt brass just not seating it as far so as to mimic the longer casull cartridges and those, which measuered 1.754 OAL feed slick so I thought I had it made without filing the guides. Well NOT! Evidently the longer Casull brass causes just enough resistance at the rim of the chamber to cause these to balk every time I tried to cycle them. They are seated to their crimp groove and are indeed the same exact length as the ones I made up using the colt brass. Anyway I went after the guides with a file (a very small one), 20 strokes on each guide and then try it. I did not disassemble the gun, in fact I left the dummy round inside the magazine, just unscrewed the tube insert to let it slide down the tube a little. There is not a lot of room to stroke the file, maybe an inch. To shorten this story, after about a half hour I got the 454 dummy rounds to cycle. Still just slightly sticky every so often but they will chamber so am going to call it good for now.

And here I thought I had a Rossi that was trouble free right from the factory, goes to show you that pricedo was right, looking at these guns with my rose colored glasses does no one any good! Still all and all, .01 inch of metal was probably all I took off, was very close from the factory, and probably if I had trimmed a little off the brass it wouldn't have been an issue either. This is a fairly easy fix by the way and not a big deal if you file in the right place and at the right angle and just enough to achieve the results you need.
scottz

Post by scottz »

Ranch Dog wrote:I appreciate the comments but as the Admin you will find that I'm really sticky shy, that is what good topic titles and the search box is for. Many forums have nothing but stickies on the first page, MarlinOwners is really bad about it, prevents you from seeing many of the new posts. There is so many that you cannot find the sticky you were looking for.
How about creating a "Reference" section to the forum, and place all the threads like this there?

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk HD
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

scottz wrote:How about creating a "Reference" section to the forum, and place all the threads like this there?
Actually, that is what this forum is supposed to be. What I need help is with is identifying the topics that need to moved here.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I would cast my vote asking this be made a sticky in a Special Sticky Group. This is one of those good simple solutions. Good photo and good text.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Nothing beats a nice set of files.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.