Pistol sight adjustments?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Pistol sight adjustments?

Post by Archer »

So is anyone using a sight pusher for pistol sight adjustments or is everyone still using a hammer and brass or delrin punch?

Yeah I know the screw jack clamp setups are pretty much useless for revolvers and longarms.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pistol sight adjustments?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always used a small hammer and brass punch.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've never moved a sight on a semi-auto pistol.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've always used a small hammer and brass punch.
+1
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've got a Wichita drifter that I really like.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Yea I'm a cheap skate...hangin' with the hammer and brass punch crowd.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've always been a bit traditional (and cheap) when it comes to swapping sights.

That said I've got three or more different types of guns that are said to be a royal pain in the posterior to get sights on and off of including a couple XDs and a couple three plus Kimbers. I've got a friend with a couple three of the same problem children. I'm leaning toward getting one of the pushers. I figure over the course of a dozen or two sight changes it might pay for itself.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

MGW Sight Pro.
12 slide shoes.
Standard 90 degree and angles sight pushers plus low profile pusher.
Faux Pelican case. Small Husky small parts case for the bits and pieces.
I figure I can add another 10-12 slide shoes before I need to add an additional small parts case of some sort.
The screw in the bottom center is to hold the slide shoes to the main tool body and lock the slide down to the tool. The delrin puck is to allow the tool to clamp up on Beretta slides.

Downside is the tool really only works on pistol slides. Covers most of my collection (for which MGW makes shoes) but I managed to forget at least one required slide shoe. Also covers the collects of three or four of my friends in total. Still have to do the punch and hammer thing for rifles and revolvers.

------

Seems a guy over on the HK site just admitted he put his poly framed HK pistol in a bench vise and while tapping on the dovetailed sights managed to crack his plastic frame. DOH!

#1 recommendation 'Use a sight pusher'
#2 recommendation 'remove the slide first'

I think they might have gotten that just a tiny bit backwards... but then if you are using a sight pusher it almost requires removal of the slide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Archer wrote:So is anyone using a sight pusher for pistol sight adjustments or is everyone still using a hammer and brass or delrin punch?

Yeah I know the screw jack clamp setups are pretty much useless for revolvers and longarms.
For several years now I've been using a simple inexpensive pusher tool on semi's, that I scored on flea-bay.
s-l1600.jpeg
For long firearms I still use a soft punch and tap hammer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Here's a link to a write up about the MGW. The 'Sight Pro' works on both rear and front sights. They also manufacture a smaller/lighter top end that uses the same lower section and is called the 'Range Master'. The Range master does not have the same reach for forward sights on slides with long spring tunnels like the 1911 or BHP but works on most everything else.
Review:
https://www.santsys.com/s2blog/maryland ... -pro-tool/

It includes quite a few more pictures and details about how it operates.
The article does leave out the fact that the tool comes with some Delrin and mild stainless strips/tabs to go between the slide and the side blocks. It also mentions that the tool came with the straight pusher and the angled pusher is an option.
THAT is NO LONGER true. The tool NOW comes with BOTH straight and 30 degree pushers.
The Low Profile pusher and the pusher for optical plates are optional extras.

As the article mentions the Delrin puck in the upper part of the tool is adjusted so that you SHOULD clear the slide by .015" with the pusher but there are some case where the slide is relieved slightly between the sights. In those cases the thumbscrew above the puck needs to be adjusted downward to ensure the pusher doesn't hit the slide. The Beretta 92 slide shoe comes with the extra Delrin spacer to allow it to come into contact with the puck in the top of the tool and hold the slide down.

The MGW tool can be used without the slide shoe if you don't have one that fits your pistol. I've seen where some users have had MGW make a custom shoe or where a owner has made their own shoe or modified an existing shoe to fit in some cases.
The shoes do keep the side clamps from crushing the slide. They also help align the slide and prevent it from tipping if it isn't straight sided where the side blocks contact the slide.

I figure installing a few sets of night sights on my pistols and a few more on a couple three friends pistols and the thing will pretty much pay for itself even though it was a bit pricey.

I DO have a few brass and non-marring punches but didn't really want to beat on tritium sights with them.