Rossi 92 Rounds Jamming.

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
GarrChar86

Rossi 92 Rounds Jamming.

Post by GarrChar86 »

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and looking for a little help. I recently got used Rossi 92, first time at the range it worked great. Cycled maybe 30 rounds of 357 no problem at all. Next time I tried .38 and after about 10 rounds one got jammed under the ejector. I heard they sometimes struggle with .38 so I stripped it down and removed it. Yesterday testing it with 357s again same thing happened. Fired 5 rounds then jammed again. Pics attached.

Has anyone had a similar problem? And knows a fix for this. Hate to keep stripping it every time.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nashville Stage

Re: Rossi 92 Rounds Jamming.

Post by Nashville Stage »

First off, welcome!

Being used, it might have had some work done to it by a previous owner.

Can you show us a picture like the one you posted, but without a cartridge? Looking at the detailed surface of the cartridge lifter as well as the loading gate might yield some clues. There are some stops & surfaces that help to hold the cartridge in its proper place.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Barring a total "bubba" job, the lifter is activated by the lever. The lifter has a spring detent in its side that sort of holds it in place so once its "up" it tends to stay "up" until something forces it back down. The lever forces it back down as the cartridge is stripped from the lifter. And in case you haven't noticed, Winchester 92s don't work upside down, and are iffy when held sideways. Its all gravity that holds the cartridge on the lifter.

The only ways I can think of for the rim to get stuck "under" the ejector are:
1. Short cycling the lever. Probably not likely.
2. The lifter detent having a weak/cut spring (from bubba job, or just dirt).

I've never had the lifter out of either of my 92s, and I'm not sure if they come out thru the bottom or top. Coming out the top way will be a more tedious job, and basically a total action strip. Out thru the bottom... I'm hoping is just get the bolt/lever out like a nice cleaning would do, then undo the lifter screws. Don't have my 92s here at the moment to check, so maybe someone else can illuminate that situation.

On another note, there are a few videos online that show some "mods" to the cartridge guides, specifically to allow the rim to raise up sooner on the feed cycle. That is NOT your problem and don't be tempted with those. Your problem is the bolt/ejector is somehow over-riding the rim... which has pretty much got to be a lifter issue.

There's an off chance someone really, really got in there and screwed with the lever and/or lifter, but that's not a likely scenario.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The lifter is going to be best removed with a detail strip.

Rossi M92,take apart and put back together in 4.30 minutes. (doesn't removed the lifter)

Rossi M92, strip and reassembly ,PART ONE (same disassembly info plus the lifter with commentary and more detail)

Rossi M92, strip and reassembly.PART TWO,assembly.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

And to answer my own question - yes, the lifter/carrier comes out thru the bottom pretty easily, once the lever and lower tang are removed. Unlike the video, I've never had the lever want to come free with out first removing the lower tang, but... some rifles are different than others. Just a minor change in the order of things.

In the PART ONE/PART TWO videos, there are a few good shots of the lifter. You might have to go back and look a few times, but you'll see the "ball" looking detent in the side of the lifter, and if you look carefully, you'll see a retaining pin for the same. The lifter spring is fairly stiff, and it would be a royal pain in the rear buttocks to get in there with the detent not captured in some way. Once he has it together in PART TWO, you see how he manipulates it and it really "snicks" into place with a fairly powerful click? That's the way it ought to be. If its floppy... it aint gonna work so good.

Just my lil' commentary, for the OPs problem, against otherwise a fine, fine set of videos.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Those are about the best vids I've seen.
The same guy has one that deals with taking the gun apart including mag tube and barrel bands off.

There are a couple by neutered10mm that are illustrative BUT the guy polishes things to the point that he admits in at least one video that he went too far and started causing himself problems.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

There's no polish better than wabi-sabi.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things. I learned to drink, carouse, and raise some hell! ;)

There was a time in my life, when I'd buy a gun, tear it down, polish the hell out of the parts that (I thought) rubbed together. I'd change springs and fiddle. I'd stone and fiddle, and tweak.

In my older years, I've come to learn that most arms need no real improvement other than use, and that the use of the arms improves me, as well as the firearm(s) in question. I rarely change a spring, rarely stone tweak or otherwise try to improve-erize things, other than to use 'em or at least dry fire a bunch. When I couldn't control a trigger over 3lbs in my youth, they seem a bit light these days, and DAO accuracy rivals the single action accuracy of my early days.

Same things with gitfiddles. There was a time when I gushed over low wide frets of the 70's Gibson's and the hand tuned low low string elevation of the Les Paul Custom (aka "fretless wonder"). These days, I just go with what's there, unless the neck has an odd fret sticking out that needs a bit of correction to get in line with the others. Low frets and low-low action might have been fine for Les, but he played jazz, and I play blues. Heck, there was a time when I (and my buds) sought amps that didn't distort much, or break up, and a time when amplifier companies touted the same. These days, I just build my own, to my own designs, and sit back as things sing away.....

What I'm sayin' is... go with what works, and works for you, regardless of the wave of current popular opinion.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'll swap grips that I don't like for ones that fit my hands better. Might swap some furniture for cosmetic reasons. MIGHT or might not trade out sights.

I'll build ARs the way I want them from using mil-spec parts to using boutique parts for special circumstances.

About the only functional change I tend to make to factory guns is for 5" 1911s I'll swap out a 16# factory recoil spring for an 18#. I've tried several weights over the years and that one seems best for full power ammo in most weather conditions. Even then, if it works out of the box the way I want I don't screw around with it.

For mostly cosmetics I'd like to slap some Ed Brown parts in several of my guns but they work as they are so I'm holding off on spending several hundred on parts that may need fitting and may require some tweaking.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

+1 for Ed Brown parts in a 1911. I'm one for shooting AT LEAST 500 RNDS thru a rifle or pistol before I even think about doing any work on it.
As for GarCharr86's 357 problem - the cartridge stop on the lifter doesn't seem to be doing it's job.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I thought the cartridge stop was on the left side cartridge guide and prevents double feeding?