Rossi 92 Rounds Jamming.

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 Rounds Jamming.

Post by Gunny268 »

Reese-Mo, you are correct. "Cartridge Stop" is the nomenclature of the "part" that holds the cartridges within the magazine tube. My bad... I used the term more loosely as a description of function and shouldn't have. But, there is a "hump" at the rear of the lifter's top surface to hold the round in a "ready" position on the lifter so as to be "picked up" (moved forward) by the leading edges of the ejector located on the front of the bolt face. The rear "rim" of the round, is then pushed forward from that "ready position" and up between the cartridge guides.
Sorry about the confusion.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The lifter style changes from caliber to caliber and over the course of years.

I think my .357 has a dish or hump as described.
Both my .44 lifters are mostly flat with a right angled tab sticking up from the lifter a mm or two high and two mm or so wide.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

-- MAJOR EDIT ---

As it turns out, I was wrong on the feed cycle description. The cycle is actually much simpler than I at first described. Please refer to the cut away drawings, and hopefully my (corrected) description will fill in the blanks.

Here's what went thru my head, and I apologize to anyone drawn down the wrong path by my first description. I was sitting here, trying to figure out the OP's problem, and looking at the dadburn drawing, instead of where I should have been looking - my rifles. All the time, echos of Curt Gentry's excellent biography of John Moses Browning, written with help from his son Val, is playing like a stuck record in my head. "Browning would do things simpler", but just look at the drawing I told myself. SIgh.

Here we go (again). Lets start with loading. The gate deposits the cartridges onto the lifter (or some call it a carrier). If the cartridge rim has cleared the front of the gate, the gate will close under its own strong spring tension. If you load another cartridge through the gate any existing cartridge on the carrier is pushed slightly forward by an angled section of the gate as the gate is depressed, and that existing cartridge is started into the mag tube (past the cartridge stop). You can do that until the magazine it full. The tip of the cartridge on the lifter will protrude into the magazine tube just a little. This ensures two things. First is that its able to fully push the previously inserted cartridge past the cartridge stop, and second is so the cartridges further inside the magazine tube will actually be stopped by the cartridge stop during the feeding cycle.

The rim of the cartridge on the lifter rides on a curved projection on the top/front of the lever. Swing the lever open, and that curved projection is swung out of the way as the bolt is opened. The cartridge in the magazine tube (or the follower) pushes the cartridge on the lifter rearward, so its tip is no longer slightly in the magazine tube. Rearward motion of the cartridge on the lifter is arrested by a ledge on the back of the lifter.

As the lever is approaches its fully open position, a nub on on the bottom of the lever pushes the lifter upward, and a strong detent holds the lifter in place in its upward position.

Closing the lever, the bolt moves forward and the bottom of the bolt's ejector engages the rim of the cartridge on the lifter. The cartridge will begin to move forward from the lifter towards the chamber. As the bolt moves further forward, pushing the cartridge, the nose of the bullet enters the chamber, and the rim of the cartridge slides thru the openings in the cartridge stops. The rim can now rise up, and be further engaged by the bolt's ejector.

As the bolt approaches its fully closed position, the cartridge rim rides under the extractor, and the ejector is forced flush with the bolt face (effectively becoming part of the bolt face). The bolt forces the lifter downward, where the strong detent holds it in the downward position. As the bolt nears the fully closed position, it depresses the cartridge stop and a fresh cartridge is released from the magazine tube and takes it position on the lifter, with the cartridge nose still within the magazine tube, as the projection on the top/front of the lever keeps it from moving fully onto the lifter.

That is the corrected feeding cycle. Whew....

I like the way Browning left the cartridge on the lifter partially in the magazine until the bolt quits depressing the cartridge stop. That's a nifty bit of work. And he gets the same thing when loading thru the gate, also a nifty bit of work.

Back to the OP's problem, its gotta be a loose lifter. Broken lifter spring, rusted, gunked up detent, the recesses in the receiver being full of crud. Or "D" most of the above to some degree.

Questions? Ask away!