Minimizing the R92 lever / lower tang space

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Minimizing the R92 lever / lower tang space

Post by Reese-Mo »

Very little rubberwood grown in Brazil, mostly in Southeast Asia, but I s'pose its possible. Some of the rubberwood does look a bit like mahogany, so I won't rule it out. I wish I could get a good snif of bare wood, mahogany has a unique smell, as does walnut, white oak, red oak, rosewood, cedar, cypress (which gives me a nasty rash and headache when I cut it), teak, etc.

Doesn't really matter, it took the stain ok, was a bit reddish with some blonde when chemically stripped, more red when wet, lighter when dry, as wood usually does. Its dyed and getting linseed oil as we speak.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Forgot to add.... and on topic too... that I found out the lever/tang space thing is more adjustable than I expected. When I had the pin out - the one that holds the lever to the bolt - and looked thru the hole, I could see that there was maybe .015" or so it needed to move forward, with the lever full against the tang. Well, if the lever doesn't quite make it to the tang and there is less space, I'll be happy, so I think that hole can be relieved on the rear side maybe... oh just a real little bit, maybe .005 to .007ish. Obviously, if that is the case (and I gotta measure a lot of stuff to double, triple check), then they just don't do that at the factory, as excess "fitting" is expensive.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

That’s right, rubberwood. Getting my fruits and elastomers mixed up. I convinced myself at one time that it was ipe, but that (and mahogany) are more dense. But, as you say, it doesn’t matter. What kind of wax do you put in your home brewed Danish oil?
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Carnauba wax. I like it because when finally sets up, its hard, semi glossy, doesn't run, etc. I've had finished wood literally in the trunk of an old Toyota Corolla for a few days in Fl. sun in summer. No issues with the finish. The Martini does well. A quick coat of "no-dye" in the mix restores and minor defects.

Its not really an "oil" finish. That's my very old age and the great working relationship I had oh... back in the 70's and 80's with a guy who knew a lot about wood and woodworking. HE used to call it "real danish oil" as the danish oils from hardware stores and such were just various thinned polymerizing oils with hardeners and dye. He passed on about 20 years ago, but still tell the unusual stories about that guy. The idea of the finish is to get dye and dissolved wax into porous wood, letting the solvent blow off and leaving the dye and wax behind. Pretty basic stuff really.