Truck gun project

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
UTShooter71

Truck gun project

Post by UTShooter71 »

Hola,
I'm looking to put a QD red dot on my R92. I do not want to lose the ability to shoot with iron sights. To that end I am looking to mount a Skinner Sights Rossi rail and XS Sights low mount ghost ring. I've seen that someone has done this using a Noe rail but it sits high. Has anyone else done this?
UTShooter71

Re: Truck gun project

Post by UTShooter71 »

Update:
I have mounted the Skinner Sights rail on my .357/.38 R92. As someone mentioned that the screws are a little short, I have used blue thread locker on the four screws. For a rear sight I have the XS Sights low mount ghost ring. It comes with two apertures. I have mounted it at the far end of the rail using the large aperture and it sits low enough that I do not need to change out the front sight (although a fiberoptic sight may be a future option).

On the rail behind the ghost ring I have a Tacticon, Predator V3 Micro red dot sight. This looks like my Bushnell TRS-25 but only time will tell if it will hold up as well. Nothing against Tacticon, and I did purchase it based off of its good Amazon reviews. The final addition for now is going to be a Brass Stacker no-drill sling and cartridge bandolier.

I have had no issues in about 500 rounds so I don't want to mess up a good thing but I have seen some instructional Cowboy Action videos on YouTube about employing, aiming and using a lever action and the rifle used is smooth like butter. I would like my rifle to run like that. Adding any internal parts that would make is more solid is also an option, but I have yet to look into this aspect of the gun.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Sounds like a nice setup! Photos would be greatly appreciated. Is the Tacticon on a sight-thru mount? It’s a little unclear from their website.
UTShooter71

Post by UTShooter71 »

Hello,

I will take pictures and try and post them. Soon. In regard to the red dot. It comes with a .83", detachable riser. I took the riser off to see if this would work.

Using the Tacticon red dot I can see the top 2/3 of the ghost ring and front sight. Use of the irons may be possible without removing the optic. This is not the setup I am working toward however.

Ultimately the goal is to have a set of zeroed iron sights, but they would/are not to be the primary aiming device. Similar to my duty AR, they are there as an emergency back-up. Ideally I would like to have them in full view, without removing the optic; using a shorter riser(?). If this is not feasible then I would like to find a QD release on/for the optic. I want to keep the red dot as low as possible.

I do have a QD red dot but it just seems ginormous on the skinny lever gun. The dot I have now seems like a good size but I will need to see if I can add a QD mount or find one (sight) that is comparable in size. Something out there will work.
Last edited by UTShooter71 on 10 Dec 2020 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
UTShooter71

Post by UTShooter71 »

Here are photos. I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.