Lithium grease to maintain

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!

Lithium grease to maintain

Postby Mrskrimps » 17 Oct 2021 17:22

Saw a video on YouTube and I saw that this guy greased the side of his lever plates- anyone else do this or recommend? I see the friction on mine and does t seem like a half bad idea.
Mrskrimps

My Rossi Choice: M92

Re: Lithium grease to maintain

Postby Reese-Mo » 17 Oct 2021 17:27

Really no need. They are part of a lever gun, not truck suspension. Its normal to see rub and shiny spots. The most wear in a 92 is the very top front of those plates and bolt slot. Most any lube will do there. Very very light lube on other spots like pivots.
Last edited by Reese-Mo on 18 Oct 2021 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Postby Archer » 18 Oct 2021 01:48

You CAN lube the top of those plates ifn you want but the lube will mostly wipe off the first time you handle the gun. It isn't a bad idea to put a little light weight oil on wear spots in a clean environment but if you're in a sand storm prone zone it may be better to leave it dry so nothing sticks to it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Postby mr surveyor » 18 Oct 2021 08:57

the more unnecessary lube you stick in a firearm, the more powder residue, dust and dirt get mixed in with it. Next you know you have a nasty black, abrasive paste gumming up, or wearing out the metal to metal contact points. In most cases, unless you thoroughly strip and clean a firearm often, grease may be overdoing it, in my opinion.

Enough is enough ... too much is too much. Now, that makes sense :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Postby Reese-Mo » 18 Oct 2021 20:51

Archer wrote:You CAN lube the top of those plates ifn you want but the lube will mostly wipe off the first time you handle the gun. It isn't a bad idea to put a little light weight oil on wear spots in a clean environment but if you're in a sand storm prone zone it may be better to leave it dry so nothing sticks to it.

Well, not the top-tops... but the upper parts, at the top. Ya don't want much there really. I use a little of that Mil TW25b white paste. I little goes a loooong way of slippery. Just a lightfilm, no paste showing is all ya need, if that even.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Return to DIY Gunsmithing, Projects, & Tips!