new MN member

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Iron Ranger

new MN member

Post by Iron Ranger »

Just picked up my first 92 lever! Wanted a handy 16" stainless .357 carbine to pair with my revolvers. Did some research, and went with a Rossi as they are lighter. Lots of reports of iffy QC, but I like to tinker. I was a bit anxious purchasing one online, but it seems like I got a good one. Fit and finish looks good, and the stock has a nice red hue, almost cranberry. Action is relatively smooth, and trigger is better than expected. To be safe I already ordered Steve's video and a full complement of hop up parts. Waiting for a break in the weather to break it in and test out a variety of .38 & .357 ammo. Then time to get tinkering on the action and sights..
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: new MN member

Post by Archer »

Welcome,

The 92 is a fun gun.

You may want to think about a few things before you do too much modification.
Steve's video isn't bad but he's showing recommendations to slick up a 92 from a double decade ago.
He's also getting pretty close to cowboy action/race gun mods. The amount of grinding and trimming and file work he's doing gets slick results but potentially at the cost of longevity. Many of the guns from the past 4-8 years may be better built than those he was working on 20 years ago.

Clean out any packing grease. Change the follower to a metallic. Buff some of the sharp edges like the loading port. Lube it with good stuff. Do the movie marathon break in, dry cycling the gun a thousand times or so.

As I said to someone about a year ago:
Run the lever quickly, all the way down and all the way back up. Don't baby it or try to work the lever slow.
Break it in running the action without ammo but do NOT dry fire it, let the hammer down easy, for a few hundred cycles and then clean it put new lube on it and repeat a time or two.

Change the sights if they don't work for you.

Enjoy!
If after you've run through that it isn't buttery you might take some of Steve's advice. Just remember it's a lot easier to take metal out than it is to put it back.
Iron Ranger

Post by Iron Ranger »

Thank, solid advice. Doing the dry cycling this weekend. I have a bunch of 357 aluminium snap caps for my revolvers. Was going to practice loading with them. Any harm in cycling them through and dry-firing during the movie marathon?

I already bought a marbles 95 folding leaf rear sight, as the pronghorns offends my eyes. Im used to pistol target sights. Planning on installing a marbles tang mounted peep for longer distance stuff, but it is on backorder.

Most of my collection is on the race gun side of things. I like performance and the tinkering it takes to get it.

Gonna wait fora full range session before i do any modifications though. Quality control must have gotten noticably bettet recently, as my new 92 stainless is very nice out of the box. Only gripe is some ofthe screw heads came pre-buggered like someone used the wrong screwdriver to install them..
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome!

No need to let the hammer down easy if you run snap caps, but that many cycles will likely chew the bejeepers out of the rims.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

My experience with snap caps in my revolvers is that the Rugers in particular will punch the Azoom snap cap off the rim with not a terrible number of cycles. Running them through a lever as HarryAlonzo mentions will chew them up. Figure 6 snap caps = 166+ trips through the gun to make 1000 cycles. (or 12 dummies = 80+ trips.) With the Azoom style caps you are likely to be leaving aluminum dust in the action.

No harm other than having to clean out the gun, and monitor the dummies and ditch them when they are too worn out for the firing pin to be slowed down.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

If you are cheap like me and like to tinker...I resize, but not deprime a split or nicked case. Seat and crimp a bullet at the best cartridge OAL. I use them rather than buying snap caps. Like I said, I'm cheap, and I like to tinker.
Iron Ranger

Post by Iron Ranger »

Yep, I was concerned about the aluminum breaking up in the action. Probly skip them. Handmade dummy rounds is a good idea.
I used to reload for accuracy reasons. should probably get set up again for economic reasons. Been saving 10mm and 357 brass(mostly nickel plated) for a while now.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Gunny268 wrote:If you are cheap like me and like to tinker...I resize, but not deprime a split or nicked case. Seat and crimp a bullet at the best cartridge OAL. I use them rather than buying snap caps. Like I said, I'm cheap, and I like to tinker.
Decap them and then take a little GE Silicone and over fill the primer pocket through the flash hole to hold it in. Once it cures trim it flush with the brass and it will absorb the firing pin impact longer than the spent primer and can be renewed as required.
Iron Ranger

Post by Iron Ranger »

Whoa, that it a clever idea! I could make a full mag tube (or two) of snap caps for less than these aluminum one cost. I think I'll be using that idea for every caliber inmy safe.. thanks.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I cross drill mine and paint them with red layout fluid to make them stand out from live rounds. Brass lasts longer, but not forever. I still have to use commercial snapcaps for calibers I don’t hand load.