Hello from GA

Tell us a bit about yourself!
sfc_mark

Hello from GA

Post by sfc_mark »

Howdy folks!

I am a long-time lever gun fan and recently new Rossi owner.

My love affair with lever guns goes back many moons. The first Christmas I remember, the only thing I asked for was a particular toy Winchester rifle. This one had dummy rounds that loaded through the side gate and cycled through the action when you worked the lever. It was clearly modeled on the Winchester 92. I was a very happy little boy that Christmas morning when I got exactly what I wanted.
Christmas 1965.jpg
Later on, my first centerfire rifle was a Win 94 .30-30 that I bought new from Montgomery Wards when I was 18 (a long time back). That one was stolen in a home burglary (ironically on another Christmas day), but has since been replaced twice over.

The first time I saw what is now the Rossi model R92, my wife's foster brother had a Puma .357 that I considered the perfect walking around rifle. That would have been sometime in the early 1980s, but I just didn't have the coin to spare to add one to the stable back then.

I like the Marlin 1894CB .357 a lot, but while they're out of current production they are approximately as scarce as hen's teeth and the price of admission is a bit hard to swallow.

When I noticed new Rossi R92s actually available again back in June, I pulled the trigger [groan] on two - a .357 and a .44 carbine. I haven't fired either, but I have cycled some rounds through both. The .44 cycles RNFP specials and JHP magnums well; the .357 is a bit more finicky with .38 special TCFPs. Both are a little hard on bullets and brass, so some polishing up is clearly in order.

I've already had stevesgunz bookmarked on my computer for a long while, so I have a fair idea the direction I need to go to make a fun rifle even more funner (that's a thing, right?). In fact, as of this morning I have all of the parts, the NKJ DVD, and the tools for the job on order.

If the tuneups go as well as planned, I will probably add Precision Gun Works walnut stocks to both later on; I just loves me some blued steel and walnut.

My old eyes not being what they once were, I may be tempted to stray enough from authenticity to add the fiber optic sights Steve sells (I wouldn't mind hearing opinions from anyone who has tried them).

+guns

- Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Hello from GA

Post by Gunny268 »

Welcome to the Forum. Good people here. Also, add Jack First Gun Parts to your bookmarks.
sfc_mark

Post by sfc_mark »

Gunny268 wrote:Welcome to the Forum. Good people here. Also, add Jack First Gun Parts to your bookmarks.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Gunny! While I was waiting for my account to be activated I read through a bunch of forum posts, and In fact already added Jack First to the bookmarks folder. It may even have been your recommendation on an earlier thread :D

- Mark
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome aboard! Great photo!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. Great pictures and memories!
Michael
sfc_mark

Post by sfc_mark »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Welcome aboard! Great photo!
Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum. Great pictures and memories!
Thank you, kind gentlemen. I'd say I couldn't be much happier, but I'm sure when I finish the action jobs I'll be much, much happier indeed. :D
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I missed this one when it first appeared.
Welcome from another lever nut and a GA boy born and raised.

I'm stuck in CA at the moment, contemplating another lever gun range day with some coworkers.