New to this Forum and Lever Guns

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Hondo

New to this Forum and Lever Guns

Post by Hondo »

Hi from Florida!! I am a member of a few forums that deal with reloading and specific guns. i.e. S&W Forum and Lee Loader Forum. I just ordered and awaiting my first lever gun - Rossi R92 in .357 and looking forward to shooting and reloading for it. This will be the perfect companion for my S&W 65-6 in .357 with a 4" barrel in stainless (same as the Rossi). I've been browsing this site and there is a LOT of good information that I very much appreciate.......and I haven't even gotten my gun yet!

Ranch Dog - I've seen you on different forums as well. Any advice on reloading 38 and 357 for the Rossi?
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: New to this Forum and Lever Guns

Post by Gunny268 »

Welcome. Glad to have you aboard.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome.

Warning, lever actions are addictive and much like Lays potato chips stopping with a single one is not exactly likely.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

A companion carbine is the cowboy way!

Welcome!
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Range Report - Well, loaded up some .357 - 158 gr Hornady XTP for the range. I have been using HP-38 so I have a bit of that. I loaded 6.5 gr. at OAL 1.58 with CCI small rifle primers. My average velocity was 1252 with a spread of 48. Next I'll try some Accurate #5 next and will try 8.8; 9.1; and 9.3 (8.6 to 9.7 published range) to see how that compares. Rifle cycled flawlessly and was FUN to shoot. I did try some wad cutters I had loaded for my S&W 65-6 but, as suspected, these would not chamber well. I also ran some .38 Special store bought 158 gr. ammo and it was smooth as silk. Almost no, perceptible, recoil and very accurate. The only mod I have done to the new rifle is paint the front sight orange.

I see no reason for any other mods except possibly change out a spring so I am not chasing brass all over the range......lol

Please note this load information was worked up for my rifle and may, or may not, work well for yours. Please do not rely on my information, look up the min - max loads for what you are reloading with, and load safe.
ethang

Post by ethang »

Welcome. Dual use handgun rounds are nice to have, but more fun can be had with some slower powders. This rifle really starts to shine with some high end 357 loads. I am tickled pink every time I let loose a 1800 fps 158 grain soft point. :D

Also... are you the same Hondo from from the Ruger forum?
Plastic has no soul...
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Yes sir - same Hondo........what are using for powder for your loads?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Hondo wrote:Yes sir - same Hondo.......
Aha! You helped me with some Single Six info I think.

Lil'Gun has become my favorite but A2400 is really good. H110 and 300-MP are good choices.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ethang

Post by ethang »

Hondo wrote:Yes sir - same Hondo........what are using for powder for your loads?
Have enjoyed your posts over the years. I still have not installed that Bisley Single Six hammer I bought from you years ago.... :D

I am using a Max load of Lil'Gun and Zero 158 grain soft points and hollow points. I have posted several threads here on this forum about my rifle and loads. Everything seems to shoot really well in mine. I tried some 296, but found it was bulging the case, whereas the Lil'Gun loads do not.

Anyway, good to have you here Sir.

Ethan
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I like 2400. I picked up some Lil Gun based on recommendations here but haven't run it yet.
I seem to recall there's been some complaints about heat build up with it but I expect that may be more with the semis like the Beowulf than the levers.

I'm loading some H110 which is pretty much the same as Win296 because I could get it more than as a favorite. One of the shops at the show was blowing it out at a decent price in the middle of the last component drought. I figured I had about 3 calibers I could use it in.