Another greeting from MI

Tell us a bit about yourself!
StreeterD

Another greeting from MI

Post by StreeterD »

Hello everyone, I have always wanted a 44 lever action since high school days because a friend had one and it was fun to shoot. Two years ago I found a good deal on a R92 in 44 magnum in northern Mi so I picked it up. As long as you cycle it fast it does not jam it just feels rough and a little clunky. I have already disassembled it and polished a lot of pieces suggested online. Spring kit is next to purchase and install. Just the polishing has made quite an improvement.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Another greeting from MI

Post by Reese-Mo »

The only spring that really needs "fixin" is the ejector spring. That will smooth things considerably by reducing the thrust of the breech bolt against the locking bolts (Winchester terminology). That will make opening and closing quite a bit easier. You can also get the spring online at AMAZON

That spring can be tuned a little. I found just a tiny coil snip worked best in ->>> my <<<- rifle. The idea is to get the gun to reliably eject unfired cartridges, not just empty brass. A six pack of springs for three bux, you can try a few things to see what works best.

If you have more "slick up" questions, probably best to ask in the "92" section of the forum

And.... welcome!!! (from deeply embedded Florida swampland)
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome! And keep cycling it fast and hard.
ethang

Post by ethang »

Pick a lazy Weekend, pick a few good Westerns and spend a couple of hours just cycling that action and watching them. You might find it does not need much else after that, though changing the ejector spring is a good idea, just don't go too light.

Also, greetings from the Lansing area.
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The actions on my two 44s and the .357 are pretty smooth. I think I might have a burr inside on the octagonal but it is only noticeable on half cock and I don't put it on half cock very often.

I have a bud who has a .357 that can be a little clunky on feeding. I think if the OAL is just right the bullet impacts the top of the chamber rather than popping up level to go into it.
Heavy iron

Post by Heavy iron »

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the rossi. They are addicting!
Ackley was right all along