Hello from Northern WI USA

Tell us a bit about yourself!
uwmcscott

Hello from Northern WI USA

Post by uwmcscott »

Greetings all, joining from Northern Wisconsin and thanks for having me. I am a recreational shooter and hunter ( Whitetail Deer, small game mostly ) and have a small collection of firearms. I recently purchased a 357/38 revolver for self defense and target shooting and stumbled across the Rossi brand. I have an old model 94 Winchester in .32 special that belonged to my father, but got curious about the .357 Rossi 92 as a compliment to my revolver when I was doing some research on lever actions. I have ordered a .357 92 in 20"/black and it is scheduled to be delivered to my FFL today. Will be checking it over ( thanks for the tips here in the FAQ before first post! ) and hopefully getting it out to do some shooting next week.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the possibilities for smoothing/improving the action and will be exploring that as well. I could definitely see adding another in .44 or maybe even .22 down the road, but I will take my time with the .357 for now.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Hello from Northern WI USA

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Greetings and welcome aboard. If your new rifle is a current production CBC gun you may not have a lot of work to do. Word id they're pretty good out of the box. Were it me I'd run a couple hundred rounds through it first after a good cleaning to get the shipping "grease" out of it. Pull the butt stock and spray with non-chlorinated brake cleaner until it runs clear, real lube and shoot it.

Beware, lever guns are like potato chips - hard to stop at one.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
uwmcscott

Post by uwmcscott »

Thanks for the welcome and tips - would have not thought to use brake cleaner - are you suggesting to just pull the stock completely off and douse the entire chassis, or just the bore and internal action?

I hope you are right on the QC too, that would be nice to not have to do too much work, but I did make the purchase expecting some might be needed so it would not be a surprise.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I take the stock completely off and douse the entire action. I also take the the plug out and clean the magazine and spring and light relube the spring when I put it back together. Some day I'm going to start a program to replace all my mag spring with stainless steel.
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,
Once you get rid of the wood so the cleaner doesn't strip it then douse anything that looks like it has a layer of goop on it. Then once the gun is cleaned of all the varnish like shipping/storage moisture displacement crap use a decent lubricant on the working surfaces. Replace the mag follower with one from the Smith Shop. Wax the non working surfaces with a paste wax to help prevent finger prints and give it some resistance to humidity. Seal or refinish the wood if you are going to and put it back together.

Before or after you do the above you can hand cycle the action letting the hammer down easy rather than snapping the trigger each time for about 500 to 1000 cycles to smooth out the working surfaces. I cleaned it with bore cleaner and put some lube on it and then during the 1000 cycle series cleaned and relubed it another time or two. That did most of what I needed done on my three.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will post pictures of the "Black" rifle. When these were listed in their catalog, I was interested, but never found a source for purchase.

I see one has finally reached Gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878265340
Michael
uwmcscott

Post by uwmcscott »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum. I hope you will post pictures of the "Black" rifle. When these were listed in their catalog, I was interested, but never found a source for purchase.

I see one has finally reached Gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878265340
Will do - I just picked it up yesterday evening at the FFL. Everything seems to be in order on initial inspection - action is a little stiff but smooth and no visual flaws that I can see. I would say it's dark but not totally black - still looks blued to me. I am heading out of town for the weekend with the family but will report back in a couple days with some photos.
Heavy iron

Post by Heavy iron »

Welcome to Rossi-rifleman. Great to have you on board.
Ackley was right all along