G'Day from Australia

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Outback Jack

G'Day from Australia

Post by Outback Jack »

Outback Jack here, G'day to everyone !
I have been an active shooter and hunter for 54 years and hunt regularly, I'm not worn out yet!
I owned a 92, .357 magnum 20" barrel about 30 years ago, I sold it, worse mistake I made at that time, now it is time to buy another one. Lucky for me I've had quite a few other go bang sticks to use over the years.
Not sure of the barrel length or caliber yet, I need to do some ballistics research.
I mainly shoot pigs, goats, Kangaroos (with a permit), deer, foxes and rabbits. Gotta love kangaroo stew, steaks and sausages. Looking forward to this forum and it's topics and any knowledge that I can acquire regarding Rossi's.
Regards to all.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: G'Day from Australia

Post by Gunny268 »

G’day Jack,
Welcome to the club. Do you reload? You can work up a good hunting load for just about any caliber depending on range and size of game.
Again, Welcome Mate.
Outback Jack

Post by Outback Jack »

Hey Gunny268,
Thanks for the welcome !
I reload everything I can, I will have to decide caliber first then barrel length, powders to use (depending on barrel length), projectile weight. I have heard about Hornady Leverlution projectiles and they interest me, I will have to do some more research on them. I like the idea of dual caliber for plinking i.e. 357/38 special, 44 magnum/44 special, 454 Casull/45 Colt. Maximum range for a good clean kill 125 meters (136 yards). with my last Rossi in .357, 20" barrel, open sights, with handloads, shooting offhand I could put every bullet in a 6 inch circle at a 100 meters so I was happy with that accuracy,(that was thirty years ago and I no longer have my old reloading data).That's about the same accuracy deal for my Winchester 30/30.
Regards Outback Jack
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome and good luck with your search.

I like the .44 Mag but, at least in my experience, .44 SP is generally not too popular, not too available and not particularly any advantage in a 92 rifle. If you load you can make a lower power load in the .44 Mag cases that will be cheaper and work as well or better than trying to stuff it full of .44 SP.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome!

Leverevolution bullets in 44 Mag are quite underwhelming. Compare BCs with an RNFP, and you won’t see much improvement. Plus, Hornady’s bullet is underweight for my purposes. Not so with a 30-30, and maybe somewhere in between for 357.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Got older Rossi M92s in 45 Colt and 357. Really like the larger caliber for a hunting round. Archer has a good idea with the 44 mag.
I’ve got my eye on a “CBC” Rossi in 44 mag that’s priced for $545.
Outback Jack

Post by Outback Jack »

Hey Gunny268,
after a lot of discussion last night over a few cold beers I have settled on the .357, I went through my ammo storage and found I had 500 38 special +P rounds - so I've got my plinkers and 200 .357 rounds, forgot I had them I always wondered what was in that green ammo case in the safe. Now I just have to decide barrel length and lever size.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Outback Jack wrote:Hey Gunny268,
after a lot of discussion last night over a few cold beers I have settled on the .357, I went through my ammo storage and found I had 500 38 special +P rounds - so I've got my plinkers and 200 .357 rounds, forgot I had them I always wondered what was in that green ammo case in the safe. Now I just have to decide barrel length and lever size.
Depends on what you are going to do with it.

I maintain the 20" round barrel is probably the most versatile all around barrel length. These weapons weight in about 2lbs lighter than the 24" octagonal but still have a decent sight radius and hold a full 10 rounds. I have one of these 92s in .44 Mag and another in .357 and several .30-30 94s with 20" tubes.

COSteve maintains the 24" octagonal is a potential longer range option, particularly with tuned/crafted ammo and using a peep tang sight which I do not dispute. I have one of these 92s in .44 Mag. I also have a 94 in .44 mag with a 24" round tube. They are both fun guns. The 24" octagonal 92 is noticeably heavier than the round barreled guns but does give you a longer sight radius. The 94 is not too much heavier than the 20" guns but it is a little slower to transition between multiple targets and the 94 action is not as smooth as the 92. These guns typically carry 2 more rounds than the 20" guns.

We have several folks who think the 16" is most handy for use especially when getting into or out of a vehicle. In particular I recall at least one gentleman who said when running a combine and spotting coyotes or other varmints 16" was his choice. I think these guns may transition faster between targets. Sights on these guns sometimes require adjustments as in possibly swapping the front for a different height since they often will shoot high at the lowest elevator setting.

ANY of these guns may have you wanting to make certain sight adjustments. Several of us find the stock brass bead to be a bit large in diameter when trying to draw a fine sight picture. While I generally like Buckhorn rear sights the Rossi incarnation seems to rub many people wrong. I have not changed mine but I am seriously considering going with a Marbles tang sight instead of changing to anything different at the rear of the barrel.

IMO if you are hunting deer or hawgs then I don't think I'd choose .357/.38 in a carbine. It can work but a heavier solid constructed bullet simply has more capability for penetration and tissue damage on a tough target. You are going to have to have better shots probably at somewhat reduced range to be certain with the .357 and/or limit yourself to lightly constructed game.

I can deal with the small loop levers and have no issues with them. I seem to be somewhat in the minority as many like the large loop. I don't care for the large loops in most cases. In the Winchester designs a slightly enlarged loop can make sense for using with gloves or the like but the super large loop just slows me down. On the Marlin I prefer the enlarged loop that is about 1.5 or 1.75 times the size of the standard loop. With the Marlin actions these seem to give you a mechanical advantage when working the loop and are not so large as to make it overly sloppy when trying to work the lever.

My two cents and some of it's subjective.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Jack, If you've settled on the 357, then you're good to go. It's your choice and nobody else, you know what you want to do.
Just a little experience here on my part. I've had to pop a few coyotes over this summer and used both 357 (140 gr and 158 gr) and 45 Colt (255 gr gas checked). They will do the job and the 45 Colt had much more authority. But now, I plan on stepping up to 44 mag so I can try a 240 gr slug at 300 - 350 fps faster than the 45 Colt.
More or less I'm just trying to satisfy my own curiosity. That's the fun!
Heavy iron

Post by Heavy iron »

Welcome to Rossi-Rifleman. Great to have you on board.
Ackley was right all along