Howdy from Northern Indiana

Tell us a bit about yourself!
LukeMcain45Colt

Howdy from Northern Indiana

Post by LukeMcain45Colt »

Hey everyone, new guy here. New to the lever action scene as well. Have owned guns, rifle as well as handguns since a very early teen, but never owned a lever action. The want was always strong tho!!
So I picked up an extremely clean 92 stainless 16” chambered for .45 Colt. Actually thought it was new until I was advised by the gun shop owner that it was a very clean but used rifle. It is a nice rifle, and I’m very, very pleased with it. However I have questions about it! I believe it to be an older model, as it does not have a safety on it(which I’m happy about, no offense to those who do) and it has a saddle ring on it, and the front post is mounted to the front barrel ring, not to the barrel itself. Cane in the original box and all paperwork/owners manual.

What ball park figure are we looking at as time of manufacture? Fit and finish is outstanding compared to some I’ve seen that are new. Any help would be most appreciated!!

One last question...this model also I’ve noticed, unlike the newer ones, the end of the barrel and magazine is not flush. Is that an older design then than the new ones, as those appear to be flush, or even the magazine being a hair longer than the barrel??
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Howdy from Northern Indiana

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Don’t know the answers, but great find! Welcome aboard!
LukeMcain45Colt

Thank you Sir!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Welcome to the Forum!
Ranch Dog or Archer might be able to tell you more about your '92. What's it say on the roll marking on the barrel, upper or lower tangs, and on the receiver? Photos would help a lot.
I'm a genuine fan for the Rossi 92 in 45 Colt caliber.
If you reload, you're going to like it, a lot!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

That is an older style rifle.
I am not certain when they stopped putting the front sight on the barrel band although I've seen indications that all the Interarms guns were rigged that way. Interarms imported them from about 1975 through 1998. Imports BEFORE Interarms probably used the same sight system but I haven't found any indications one way or the other. Your gun should probably be marked as to the Importer.

That by the way was a Rossi thing AFAIK Winchester NEVER did that on their lever actions.

The 'Braztech' guns do have the mag tubes pretty close to flush. I expect 'CBC' guns are the same. I don't know if Winchester did that or not. On Winchester guns (model 94) that are NOT takedown models the mag tube tends to be slightly shorter than the barrel. Takedown models (1886) that have the screw in magazine tube tend to be as long as the barrel so that the cam lever that locks the front of the tube into a notch cut in the bottom of the barrel will extend beyond the muzzle when it is flipped down and forward and can allow the tube to unscrew.
Marlin also seems to recess the mag tube a little.
We've all seen variations on various lever actions with short (half) mag tubes.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! GasGuzzler knows the pre-Braztec rifles well. Your rifle would be ahead of that group as Braztec added the bolt safety.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

To my knowledge, the non-safety and band mounted sight makes it an Amedeo Rossi...which is the first version of the Rossi R92. I don't remember seeing one in stainless but that doesn't mean a lot. The originals were made from the mid-70's until the '90's. I have seen no evidence the serial numbers correlate with production dates. There will be Juilian dates on the major parts, at least mine has them. Mine dates to 1987. It's a blue 20" round barrel .357 with a saddle ring and obviously different wood than the newer ones. It also was built with no plastic parts.

Please post a close up picture of your Rossi.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
LukeMcain45Colt

Thank you all for the replies. Getting used to this forum thing, as it’s been awhile since I’ve been a member on forums. Let me see if I can figure out how to load a pic....
LukeMcain45Colt

Well...I’m not what some might consider computer savvy, I did graduate kindergarten, but that’s not sayin’ much when it cones to attaching images here. :(
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pictures are not that tough to work through. The basics are here: https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=486

One of the problems if you are using a smartphone to take those pictures, is the size of the picture in that they all have HD cameras now. You will need to resize them to meet the forum limits: https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... =31&t=4719
Michael