Greetings from South Central Oregon

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Squatch66

Greetings from South Central Oregon

Post by Squatch66 »

As my user name and title implies, I reside in rural outback Oregon on the leeward side of the Cascade Range. Specifically, in a unique climatic niche in the Upper Little Deschutes Watershed and surrounded by Deschutes National Forest to my North and primarily private land in each other point on the compass, it is great Elk, Muley, Pronghorn, Black Bear, and Cougar habitat. Yet unproven to my satisfaction, this is also believed to be (in some circles) Sasquatch Country +corn . Additionally, I stand at 203cm and tip the scales ~ 22 stone... :lol:

With large predators for neighbors (in lieu of human population) one can never be too careful when out and about in the upland mixed conifer forest. When I moved to this area, I had a couple small caliber scoped long guns, 12 gauge pump, Ruger 10-22, and Ruger .40 semi-auto. The thick vegetation in my area coupled with a near constant barrage of anti-gun legislation coming out of our state capital made me start looking toward a more brush friendly, large caliber firearm that may not be foremost on the radar of those concerned.

About two years ago, I bought a 2.5" Stainless Taurus Judge .45/.410 to replace my Ruger .40. That led to the Circuit Judge in Stainless (never been fired - yet), followed by a 2" Steel Judge PD. About two months ago, I finally received a Blued Rossi 92 in .45/16" and I have another Stainless Rossi 92 in .44/16" on order for winter use. Sometime in between, I acquired a Mossberg Shockwave in .410 with brace, and Riton red-dot for ATV carry.

New addition: Yesterday 5/21/2020, the R92 stainless .44/16" finally arrived (ordered back in early March), and after a 7 hour wait for State Police BG Check grrr; I am curious about a couple things. Does anyone here have experience loading .44 Special, not to 44 Magnum pressure/velocity levels, but at least equivalent to 45 Colt. Factory ammo in my area for either 44 mag or 44 special is really limited - Buffalo or Grizzly ammo is readily available, but 265gr or 305gr hardcast is a bit much for black bear, coyote, or cougar. So I am looking to Oregon Trail/Laser Cast offerings in 240gr RNFP for the 44 Mag. or 44 Special loads.

Switching to .45/.410 and times being what they are, I also feel the need to enter the realm of reloading and I will be seeking experienced guidance from many others on this forum.

Thank you for reading - see you around campus... :)
Last edited by Squatch66 on 22 May 2020 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Greetings from South Central Oregon

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Welcome aboard.

With an interest in reloading you may want to check out RD's other forum @ www.lee-loader.com. Just like here a friendly crowd and a wealth of information about Lee and other gear and reloading in general.

Saty well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome! That’s pretty country. I moved to AZ from Western WA a year ago, and I don’t miss the politics.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,

.45 Colt, .44 Mag and .44 SP almost REQUIRE reloading.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Welcome, your gonna like it here.....most folks seem to. 8-)
And I too envy your getting to live in that beautiful part of the Country.....except for the politics.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael