New Member from California

Tell us a bit about yourself!
The Spaniard

New Member from California

Post by The Spaniard »

Hello there, I will be the owner of a new Rossi M92 carbine .357 soon. I bought it, now just waiting for delivery and then I'll wait some more (10 days-while I "cool off"). Any how, I have a love for firearms, generally all types, but I like revolvers and lever guns for their nostalgic appeal and because I find them more interesting and fun to shoot. I currently own a Henry BB steel in 44 and a caliber companion Redhawk. I am a retired LEO and among my hobbies are reloading ammunition, shooting firearms and hunting, game animals mainly. I like exchanging ideas and reading the words of those who are more experienced owners of Rossi lever rifles. I will enjoy reading your posts and glean the experience and knowledge offered here.
Put one foot in front of the other and don't stop till you get to where you're goin.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member from California

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! I think you will like the rifle!
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome!
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Welcome brother. 8-)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,

The .357 Rossi is a fun lightweight package that can be a bit finicky about feeding. Mine is pretty smooth. I've got a friend in Alabama who has one that doesn't like short bullets much but feeds long cartridges pretty well. Hope yours is more like mine than my friend's.

CA gun laws stink on ice. You'd think once you have done the background and cooling off thing a couple three times the state would let you exercise your rights without waiting 10 days but Kamala couldn't stand that sort of thing and shopped around for a sheriff to take it up with the 9th circus when the judge told her SHE didn't have standing.

The .44 Mag bug bit me when I moved into CA in the form of a Winchester 94 Legacy.
A couple revolvers followed me home via the gunshop for the mandatory wait a couple years later.
Since then I've picked up a couple Rossi levers and another revolver in the same caliber. Being able to use the same ammo in several guns can be a good thing.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Another welcome to you, sir, from the Commonwealth of Virginia!

Have fun with your new toy once it makes its way home to you. Sounds like you can't wait! I know the feeling.

Funny thing, these old classic lever actions. The simplicity of the old ways (i.e.lever action guns) can however be misleading - they are certainly intricately designed pieces of machinery that never cease to provide me with opportunities for tweaks and 'smithing projects!

Be well

alphalimafoxtrot aka Adam Lee +guns
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

And they aren't exactly slow firing series of shots if it is called for either.
One of my CA friends calls his Marlin his cowboy assault rifle.
The Spaniard

Post by The Spaniard »

Thanks all, due to slow processing from supplier and my 10 day wait. I have three more days. The little rifle looks nice. (We met at the DROS signing) Much smaller and lighter than my Henry BB steel. The action seemed good, but we'll see how she feeds ammo. I was pleased with the wood to metal fit. I like pretty wood and rate it so-so. I am considering a refinish in a darker shade and smooth some fore-end edges. I plan on doing a take down and slicking up a little. I have seen some videos on You tube. I see a link to a guy that sells some items to make the rifle function better.
What would any of you owners of 92's personally recommend as an upgrade?
Put one foot in front of the other and don't stop till you get to where you're goin.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Get a stainless follower from The Smith Shop.

Otherwise, clean the heck out of it and apply a good lubricant.
(These guns are often shipped full of a waxy rust preventative in the old cosmoline sort of way.)
Then hand cycle it, letting the hammer down easy, somewhere between 500 to 1000 times.
During the cycling, clean it and relube as required.

After that IF you really want to 'slick it up' you may have a better idea what you think it needs.
My three did not require parts swapping, spring lightening or additional slickering. I did get the followers.
I will eventually do the wood refinishing. I have the can of Watco on my desk but I haven't opened it or stripped the guns down yet.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

After recommended cleaning & dry cycling, take it to the range. Verify feeding & ejection with the ammo you plan to use. Find out if it can be sighted in with the sights God gave it, and decide if you like them well enough to keep.