Newbie from Idaho

Tell us a bit about yourself!
crazy ed

Newbie from Idaho

Post by crazy ed »

Hi all. I'm a retired Navy EOD Master Chief (hence the name Crazy Ed which was given to me by my classmates). Recently picked up a Rossi R92 in 44 mag with a 20" barrel and a 357 with a 16". Noticed right away the oal issues with the 44; not so with the 357 which eats everything. Not a big deal though as I just had to identify some appropriate 44 to keep on hand. I've only had the "kick out a live round" issue once with the 44 but it was with Underwood 200gr Hard Cast Wadcutters which are even shorter than any 44 special ammo I have around. I've found with the Underwood that they feed just fine by operating the lever at a slow to normal rate and only kick out the live ones occasionally if I operate the lever very quickly. So all is good with both guns being fun to shoot. Looking forward to learning from the experts here! Merry Christmas to all!

Crazy Ed
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Newbie from Idaho

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Jumped in with both feet! Welcome aboard!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Glad you found the crew.
I haven't tried super shorties out of the .44s only 240 grain factory FP and reloaded 240 grain Win HPs so far.
One of my reloading manuals, which one escapes me at the moment, mentions that .44 Special OAL by spec can exceed .44 Mag OAL. If that's true, I doubt it happens too often. I think I've got a box or two of .44 special but no more than that.

I haven't had any issues with the .38/.357 but again I haven't tried WC or SWC style rounds.
A friend of mine has had some issues with his using pointy .357 TC style rounds in the 125 to 140 grain weight.

The company owner at my last job was former AF EOD. To here him tell it he was the low man on the base EOD squad before their were robot remotes. Hence HE got to be the remote probe.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome and thank you for your service
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

yes welcome.
you need to remember that the ammo is part of the mechanics with a lever gun.
some will feed shorter rounds because of the internal rails and some won't.
my 357 hates 38's with normal oal's.
my 44 will feed specials seated to look like a 45 acp round, like butter, and at full speed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good Morning and Welcome !!
Thank you for bobbing up and down on those hunks of steel ! My dad was on carriers but I chose the heavy steel land cruisers. So from a tread head good to know ya !
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.