Newbie from SC

Tell us a bit about yourself!
phoneman

Newbie from SC

Post by phoneman »

Found this site by accident from FB. Looking to get a stainless 44 of some flavor for a beat around truck/boat gun. Wish id bought a few a few years ago before they dried up. Thanks for accepting me. Prob be lots of ??’s

First off, what twist is 44 model 92’s? Any problem feeding swc or wfn?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie from SC

Post by Ranch Dog »

phoneman wrote:First off, what twist is 44 model 92’s? Any problem feeding swc or wfn?
Welcome to the forum! The twist is for all the 92 offerings are the same, 357 Mag through 480 Ruger, 1:30.

Personally, I feel that whatever an SWC can do, the WFN will do it better, be it MOA or downrange killing authority. The SWC was designed for a cylinder and forcing cone, but the 92 is a rifle chamber with a leade and throat. Anyway, RPM (vis-a-vis velocity) is usually the answer with higher than spec rates of twist. I've lived a life with the 444 Marlin and it's 1:38 which has taught me a lot about what is needed to get downrange performance.
Michael
phoneman

Post by phoneman »

I wouldnt mind some WFN as well if i can find some bulk ones reasonably priced. I have a super blackhawk and a ruger 77/44 as well.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

phoneman wrote:I wouldnt mind some WFN as well if i can find some bulk ones reasonably priced. I have a super blackhawk and a ruger 77/44 as well.
First, welcome to the party.

Take a look at Missouri Bullets offerings. I've been using a variety of their bullets for a while now and like my results with both conventional and coated. I was attracted first because you can buy 100 piece sample packs. Those give you enough to actually do some testing. When I don't have time or it's just too hot to cast my own they are my fall back option.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So, are you a reloader? What equipment do you use?
Michael
phoneman

Post by phoneman »

Yes i reload. Old single stage press but honestly ive been using my old hand press alot lately. I can sit in the recliner and deprime and resize. My go to 44 loads are 240 swc over 11gr of unique and my 45 colts are 250 rnfp over 8gr of unique. My 45/70 load is 405 rnfp over 38gr of 3031. My marlin and my sharps loves it.
phoneman

Post by phoneman »

I load for 30-06,243, 30-30 and 375 h&h too but i just load my hunting rounds and dont go plink with those mych
phoneman

Post by phoneman »

Before reloading i didnt care for 44 mag. Felt all the noise and recoul was not needed to accomplish what i needed. I stuck with 45 colts. Got a super blackhawk on a trade so i decided to try some medium loads in it and found it to actually be alot more accurate than my bisley 45. Shot one deer this year with the 77/44 and fell in love with how easy it was on the shoulder and how that rifle tamed it down so much. I plan to buy myself a rossi 44 because i think my daughters will lay claim to that 77/44 soon
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like 44 Mag rifles, never cared for the recoil of a revolver. I had a 77/44 briefly but was disappointed in the rifle. I'm not a Ruger fan; their triggers and scope mount system make me crazy. I have a Marlin 44P (Outfitter), Rossi 92, and a Winchester M94 Timber Scout.

The Marlin has the XS Sight System installed.

Rossi offered their 92s configured as scout rifles, a 20" barreled Saddle Ring Carbine with the cheek extension for scope use. I have a complete line up them. Here is the 44 Mag.

The Winchester Timber Scout came from the factory with XS Sights and Scout base. I have the 30-30 Win as well. A lot of negative stuff can be found about post-'64 Winchester M94, but hands down, these two 1995 M94s are the most accurate rifles, out of the box, I've purchased (any action). Both are sub-MOA shooters with any bullet I've put through them.

I'm a Marlin guy, but I suspect this will be this Winchester will be the last rifle standing in a few years.

December '18, 100-yard shot with my 275-grain RFN cast bullet.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

phoneman wrote:Yes i reload. Old single stage press but honestly ive been using my old hand press alot lately. I can sit in the recliner and deprime and resize.
You might check out my Lee Loader Forum
Michael