Hello from Smyrna, Tennessee

Tell us a bit about yourself!
QuietDanTN

Hello from Smyrna, Tennessee

Post by QuietDanTN »

Hello!

Thank you to all who have created and maintain this forum.

I'm an Air Force retiree, a long time firearms enthusiast (mostly targets and personal defense), a reloader, and now, an Interarms-era Rossi Model 92 owner. No lawyer safety! I didn't know such a thing existed.

I found the little Model 92, .45 Colt gem at Templar Shooting Sports in Tullahoma, TN. It was a consignment gun, displayed on the wall near the front door. Not exactly new old stock as there was no box, but it was clean, and tight, and looked like it had not been shot much. And, the deep-blued finish harmonized nicely with the Very Dark Wood Stock. I bought it for the asking price instead of trying to debate down a consignment owner over the phone on a Sunday.

Cleaned and lubricated it, and sat down for a television news show and just worked the action; it seemed to smooth out some in that hour. It has a short serial number, AM068XX. It has to be, I guess, earlier than 1998, and with only four digits, what, closer to 1995?? Others know better than me.

At 63, it brings back memories of John Wayne in Stagecoach, and "The Rifleman" and the Westward Expansion, all in the post-World War II 50s and 60s when I was growing up as a GI Brat on military bases across the country.

And the Model 92's Very Dark Wood Stock! I think it's Beautiful! The carbine is very simple and straightforward, and quite beautiful in a form-follows-function way.

Tropical Hardwood. Is that code language for Mahogany? There is some depth to the texture and some deep brown striping, as you shine a bright light on it. I took the stock baseplate off, and the unfinished wood underneath is almost black. I don't think it's dyed or stained, but I've got a lot to learn.

Went to the On Target gun store and indoor range in Murfreesboro, and shot on the pistol side, as it's a pistol caliber carbine. Also shot my reproduction 1858 Remington New Model Army pistol with its .45 Colt conversion cylinder. I guess a century and a half ago, a former Union or Confederate soldier may have bought a brand-new 1892 Carbine, and still have a 1858 converted Pistol in use. It's fun and interesting to think about those times gone by, and the tools used by soldiers transitioning into civilian life.

I've been lurking for a few days, and I appreciate the give and take and the knowledge that occurs on the forum.

Best Wishes to all, and Very Respectfully,

Dan Epright, aka QuietDanTN.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Smyrna, Tennessee

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum, Dan! It sounds as though you have found a fine rifle. It is tough to equate any serial number to a production year, the number/letters are all over the map. That is one thing they started doing right last year, just stamping the year of production on the rifle.

The wood is rubberwood.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have a .357 that matches your description and I have concluded on my own it was assembled in 1987. No way to know when it was serialized or imported. Look inside for macthing date codes if you care.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome to the forum and thank u for your service.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
QuietDanTN

Post by QuietDanTN »

Ranchdog, Gasguzzler, akuser47,

Thank you for the word.

Rubberwood. Well, there you go. Looked it up. It's not bad wood, it's just got a bad name. Read one website that compared it to Teak, another to Walnut.

Brazilian Hevea, or Hevea, that sounds a little better. It's a marketing thing. Environmentally friendly, that's marketing too.