Just a little online ordering rant (non-gun)

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Just a little online ordering rant (non-gun)

Post by Reese-Mo »

I've been renovating the abode here. Its not falling apart, but there were some poorly done modifications by the previous owner, and damn, I've been here long enough - they need correcting. Fixed up the entry room real nice, and the front bedroom is mostly done. Mostly because I installed new flooring, real cedar paneling, new lighting, painted and did the trim/wood work in farmhouse style, also in cedar. Well that's just about 100 percent, so I started building furniture... First a headboard, which came out pretty nice. That was knotty pine, nice and yellow. Next white pine used for a desk. The body of the desk is all done. I bought a white pine top, and need to finish it - which includes routing an edge on the front and sides. Well.. that's where the fun begins. My only router has its base affixed to a router table, which I use a lot. No issue there. But, the top is too big to put thru the router table. Awkward and a bit dangerous. I was gonna buy a plunge base for it, but... decided to get a Makita compact router. Nice little "in between" size, not a true laminate trimmer, nor a full size. I thought it might come in handy for other projects. They're on Amazon for $99.

Well, mine came in today, really fast only 3 days. That was the good thing. Bad thing is, its obviously used. Sawdust in the box. Box had been previously sliced open and closed with a ton of tape. Missing the collet. Router body all gouged because it and the wrenches and other items were just floating in the box that should have had packing Styrofoam or cardboard to keep things from moving. And the manual had smears and writing on it.

Amazon is ok for returns and replacements... and the few extra days doesn't bother me. What bothers me is how they take something back, and just slough it off on the next poor slob (me!). I generally don't mind getting "open box" items, but jeeze, they gotta have all the parts and pieces. Maybe its just the state of our society's situation.

And just in case you're curious....
desk.jpg
This is computer/ham-radio desk. I intentionally made it a bit "bench-like" (aka open sides) because I hate dragging stuff out to fiddle with cables and such, as is common when trying out new radio stuff. Top is still sealed up. Bottom hasn't got the trim pieces yet - to cover the screws that hold on the legs. Trim will be pine dyed dark brown, the rest will be a red chestnut. The top is also getting some 19" wide shelves on top to hold more radio gear, and there'll be a back on the top, with an additional low shelf, as well as a side piece to prevent pens rolling off... Until the router gets replaced, the top is in limbo, but I can finish the bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Just a little online ordering rant (non-gun)

Post by Archer »

Back when I started working a real job I decided to get a router.
Porter Cable made some decent ones and one of the local composite shops said they had been using one for about 20 years. Seems they'd buy a Sears Craftsman every year and before the end of the year it'd be dead as a door nail but the Porter Cable kept on going.

I ordered one from Tool Crib of the North and it showed up much like the trim router you ordered.
It was thrown loose into the metal box it came in and not strapped down like it was supposed to be for transit or shipping. It was gouged up and the things that were supposed to come with it were likewise loose and/or missing. I sent it back and since they couldn't send me a 'new' one I wound up getting a refund.

Seems after I made my order and sent the damaged unit back, PC came out with a twin base kit. Same router and fixed base but it also came with the plunge base. The metal box was gone, they included a blow molded plastic case that held the router motor, both bases and the collets, wrenches and so forth with places for a half dozen bits if you wanted to put them in there for some reason.

I've used it quite a few times but not nearly as much as I was planning on at the time I got it.
It's still running like new.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Tools are funny like that. If I think I'm going to use something more than once, I'll get a better quality item. then I find out I'm using the stupid thing all the time!
Muttleymac

Post by Muttleymac »

Nice desk
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Thank You Sir!