Some Knife Goodness

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Some Knife Goodness

Post by Reese-Mo »

20211029_193318_(1).jpg
20211029_193259_(1).jpg
A TOPS Knives Bushcrafter Kukuri 7.0 - Not spelled kukri, but with the extra U instead.

Not a bad outdoor knife by any means. Its 1095 steel treated to 58ish Rockwell, for whatever that's worth. Has a nice coating to keep the rusty stuff away. The sheath... is so so as it comes. It had one of those ring/hanger affairs that I didn't like at all, so I made a drop down sort of thigh length hanger for it, which you can see in the pic.

I've been using to split and shave fatwood and scrap wood for the fire pit, and it rides on the hip during yardwork, to chop low hanging limbs occasionally, or to slice thru the damn vines that seem to be just short of Tarzan quality.

The back edge of the finger guard area had 90 corners, and those were painful during heavy chopping, so I put 45 degrees there instead (with a file). The balance point is really too far rearward to be a great chopper. It looks like it should be front heavy, but the balance is at the very beginning of the blade itself. I suspect I could drill out the 1/4 inch thick handle material to lighten it up a bit, without compromising the strength to any great degree. Even so, this blade is a beast of a chopper, and is just short of "shavin' sharp". It tugs at the hairs on my arm instead of slicing thru them. I suspect it can be made sharper, but why? Its a bush knife, not a scalpel.

I've got a smaller, sharper, more handy LionSteel knife inbound. More pics of that, in the near future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Some Knife Goodness

Post by Reese-Mo »

20211031_125121_(1)_resized.jpg
20211031_125141_(1)_resized.jpg
There's the little LionSteel knife. I bought that one untried, just looked at a bunch of videos thought it would work out good for a fixed blade carry knife. It does.

Its made of some sort of "Sleipner" steel, whatever that is. Sounds Teutonic to me. Its supposed to be a good steel. The handles are "green" but turned brown when I got a little neatsfoot oil on 'em. The handle is really comfy, best darn handle I ever remember holding. Its just "there". I put a pic of my hand in there, and I ware size humongous gloves and that handle fits ok. The sheath is good leather, I think what they call "top grain", its the outer layer they shave the hair off from, not pressed inner layers. Was a little tight, a little dry, so it got some neatsfoot to help it along a bit. Mostly better in the fit now.

Never heard of LionSteel before, but this blade impresses with absolutely even grinds and nearly imperceptible tooling marks. The domed top spine is kind of interesting too, very comfy. And it arrived both shaving and accidentally cutting my thumb sharp. Scary sharp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.