Amazon/DeWalt Counterfeit-ery

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Amazon/DeWalt Counterfeit-ery

Post by Reese-Mo »

Just a heads up about my experience today. Hope this isn't taken as a rant, but as a warning to keep one's wits about themselves and stand up for yerself when you been wronged.

Ordered up something that I've been meaning to get for a while. A few joblight thingies from DeWalt. I've got... I dunno... 5 or 6 20v batteries, and 3 or 4 of new 12v extreme batteries, so I figured why not. If we get a hurry-cane, those'll come in handy, especially since they burn for a good long time continuous on a battery.

I got one 20v and two small 12v "tool only" lights from Amazon. Price for the 12v ones was really good, but... if its too good to be true, it ain't. Got the lights today. The 20v light is genuine, but the 12v ones look like DeWalt, but don't say DeWalt on 'em anywhere. You can see how the plastic has the name section cut out of the mold, and the label has "room for" DeWalt. Total counterfeit. Plain brown box, no label. At first I thought... ok brown box, hey maybe they were part of a bundle that got parted out. Happens. Nada. Every other nook & cranny & marking is the same as the DeWalt lights, except there's no belt clip. The instructions were a crooked photocopy of two parts of a DeWalt sheet, with obvious name "DeWalt" covered with a marker or tape before photocopying. Jeeze.

At any rate Amazon takes things back ok. They don't let you say the damn thing was counterfeit in the return reason. I just said they didn't work well.

Pains my old rear keister to see this sort of thing, so heads up, keep frosty, watch your own six and don't be a victim.

By the way, the REAL DeWalt 20v light is a real flame-thrower. BRIGHT and then some. Easily will light my 2 car garage. Glad its got a "low" setting for brightness!
GasGuzzler

Re: Amazon/DeWalt Counterfeit-ery

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought a set of golf club grips and they are fake Golf Pride brand but I knew that when I ordered them. It's the lying that matters most to me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Amazon/DeWalt Counterfeit-ery

Post by Reese-Mo »

I suppose there are a lot of fakes out there, and you're right, its the outright lies that stick you in the gizzard. I usually buy "knock off" batteries, and find they work and last not quite as well as the mfgr's battery, but at 1/3 the price, so what. But as you say, you know that goin' in.

Off to the ship-back-to-Amazon folks this AM, then (ugh) the yard work. :(