1957 Black & Decker electric drill !!!

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

1957 Black & Decker electric drill !!!

Post by Reese-Mo »

My British GF "E" is classically trained, in London, at university level in housekeeping, hotel management and hospitality, and is in business for herself cleaning and managing properties for the wealthy.

One of her semi less to do clients is moving to assisted living, and selling her condo. So E brought home a few goodies, one of which is a 1957 Black and Decker 1/4 inch utility drill, Catalog #1-U/3-U AC-DC

In prime shape, fully intact with original cord....and runs just fine. Smells like the days of my youth when dad would bring out a drill to do some odd bit of work.

With the original B&D marked drill chuck key.

And the original instruction manual.

And the original "Gaurantee Card" #674841

And the original dated sales receipt, from S.Klein "On the Square". March 15, 1957 (the Ides of March!). Someone paid $12.99 for the drill, $1.89 for a 13pc set of "Premier" drills (full jobbers length!), and a set of masonary bits made in Holland for $2.19 for a total of $18.26. The sales tax rate was 3%. S.Klein was a NY, NJ based company (mostly) so 3% sales tax... oh boy those were the days.

And...

Those sets of original drills, intact, were also included.

This makes me take pause... think about how my clock already struck midnight, and remember back to the days when it was still the sunny afternoon of life.
GasGuzzler

Re: 1957 Black & Decker electric drill !!!

Post by GasGuzzler »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Crazy! What a great find!
Michael
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Tried to post a phone picture... Too big. I can get one that will fit later. This is like a snapshot out of time.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

drillbabydrill.jpg
There ya go. Drill, instructions, guarantee, sales slip, original accessories, and the drills bought on the same sales slip. A real home-museum worthy item. I got half a mind to mount it all in a shadow box and hang it on the wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

With all them bona-fides, I call B&D and offer it to them for $$$$$$$. :roll: .....And when they declined.... :lol: ....I'd donate it to a local trade school, so those kids could compare todays tools to what real craftsman had way back when. :idea:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

My Dad had a Milwaukee drill with the same type cast aluminum body that he bought in the early '50's. That drill got a lot of use over the years and I can remember a couple of times he even changed the "brushes" in it himself to keep it going. By 2000, his lung disease issues had pretty well kept him from tinkering in his shop, but that danged old drill still had what it took.

And, no, you just can't get that quality anymore unless you pay some big money now.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Well you CAN get the quality. Just buy used!
JimN
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JimN »

NICE.
And here I was fixing to go bragging on my 1986 made in Taiwan, sold at Lowes, and given to me for free drill press. Well color me :oops:.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

See if the plate on your drill press says anythonk like Keng, or K.Keng or King Keng Fu. All the same company, good stuff.