Ruger buys marlin

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Ruger buys marlin

Post by Reese-Mo »

Ruger isn't known for wood to metal fit. But they are known for doing things for strength and good shootin' (with a few exceptions).

Be nice to see laser cut checkering that's chased by hand though. ;)
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Just heard a few days ago,( came across a youtube channel) Ruger is setting up in their North Carolina facility.
They say they will start with the following production,
1895 Big Bore.
All Levers
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I "think" that has been on the Ruger website's FAQ for a while.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Ruger says, "We looks forward to reintroducing Marlin Rifles in latter half of 2021".

... along with caveat that things could change
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Reese-Mo wrote:Ruger isn't known for wood to metal fit. But they are known for doing things for strength and good shootin' (with a few exceptions).

Be nice to see laser cut checkering that's chased by hand though. ;)
I'm going to say that Ruger is known as a casting house. Minimizing machining in production.
That certain of their models have been known for strength and reliability, Others not so much.
(Bearcat comes to mind as well as some of their more recent smaller semi autos and the SR22)
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

I didn't know there was any problem with the Bearcat.

Ruger used to be known as a casting company. These days not so much. You got to remember Bill started that company when there is no such thing as a automated manufacturing. You also have to realize that in manufacturing fast equals less expensive. These days it's all about what equipment do we need to turn out the most pieces per hour.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Reese-Mo wrote:I didn't know there was any problem with the Bearcat.

Ruger used to be known as a casting company. These days not so much. You got to remember Bill started that company when there is no such thing as a automated manufacturing. You also have to realize that in manufacturing fast equals less expensive. These days it's all about what equipment do we need to turn out the most pieces per hour.
Injection molded 'fiber reinforced' plastic.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Strictly speaking Nylon-6,6 (66) and its spawn.

The old Remington Nylon 66's are pretty much crumbling, so so early Glocks should be history by 2050-2060 or so.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I wound up with a Nylon Remington because a friend said he wanted to see me with a plastic shiny firearm so he threw it in on a trade with a 6" 686, MKII Tgt and a couple other mostly real guns.

I have picked up a few plastic guns over the years including a Glock 17, a Springfield XD9, Springfield XD45, a Smith & Wesson Shield 9, a Beretta Px4 and Beretta Neos. None of them are particularly early examples and all of them are a lot more solid than the Nylon which was still in remarkably good shape. The Ruger LC380ca with the LC9 conversion kit might be in the same league as the Nylon but even it feels more solid than the Nylon shells ever did.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Ditto on getting some plastic (nylon) guns. My reasoning is, I don't have the years left in life to see them wither, and whoever gets em after me... who cares what happens!

What I wonder about (between my own ears, and that spaces well being), is the number of firearms I have that I have never shot. Doing a quick count... at least 18, maybe 20.