Ruger buys marlin

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Ruger buys marlin

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ruger buys marlin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's really great to read!
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

It sounds like they have an emphasis on leverguns.
+guns
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I hope Ruger continues to manufacture Marlin guns.
Ruger doesn't have the best of records with their home grown lever and magnum revolver cartridge long guns IMO. Of course with Bill Ruger's passing it is less likely that we will be saddled with a 3 or 4 shot Marlin 1894.

I'd like to see the Marlin Rimfires continue as well, at least the model 39 and the model 60 but in all honesty I expect Ruger may well kill off the 60 and it's magazine fed clones.

Marlin had put out some bolt guns just before Remington picked them up. I don't know if they were worth looking into or not but I suspect Ruger will stick to their Model 77s and their budget American on that side.

They also put out some other designs that probably are included as intellectual or historical design properties that I don't really expect would be that useful but probably included some other oddballs like some less favored shotgun designs.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If Ruger would stick to the lever gun line including the 39 and bring out the old "transition" cartridges like the 25/20, 32/20 and 44/40 and do it right I think they'd have a lot of happy campers.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Don't ruin the guns like they did their own with plastic parts and complicated safety widgets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:Don't ruin the guns like they did their own with plastic parts and complicated safety widgets.
I am not sure they can stop themselves from putting plastic in stupid places on a gun.
Ohio3Wheels wrote:If Ruger would stick to the lever gun line including the 39 and bring out the old "transition" cartridges like the 25/20, 32/20 and 44/40 and do it right I think they'd have a lot of happy campers.

Make smoke,
They have to do it right or it will just be another in the long list of models discontinued by Ruger because people won't buy stupid for long.

IF they are smart they will do the market research before they set up production.
I understand there are folks who love the old school cartridges.
I personally have typically passed up those cartridges (including .45 Colt as a matter of fact) in favor of the modern .357 & .44 Mag and other rounds for which I can usually get ammo any place that sells ammo.

In the big bore guns I prefer the .45-70 to most of the other choices although I have a .444 Marlin. I wonder what will/may become of the .444 Marlin since Remlin had apparently just launched it again. Hornady has apparently decided to concentrate on their FTX bullets and ammo with the flat point 265 grain bullets and ammo becoming almost impossible to find.

The 39 is a good choice I think. There essentially aren't any more Winchester 9422 guns coming out at a decent price. The bad thing is Henry is hard to beat in the rimfire market. I had my Henry .22 octagonal out yesterday and the guy shooting with me might be sold on buying one.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Ruger has had plenty of QC issues themselves. I am hoping they bust the corporate hump to make a good showing with their re-start of Marlin.

Some things Ruger could fix right out of the chute-

1 Lose the pressed checkering and thin the forend.
2. Improve the finish on the receiver flats and loose the 'scan' symbol.
3. Fix the oversize bores, tight spots from stamping and change the 44 mags twist rate to 1:20.
4. Do NOT add another safety. The Button sucks enough already.
5. FULL Length magazine tubes on all 1895 Models.
6. Bring back the straight grip Texan carbines and 39 Mountie.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Slight edit below in color...
Sarge wrote:Ruger has had plenty of QC issues themselves. I am hoping they bust the corporate hump to make a good showing with their re-start of Marlin.

Some things Ruger could fix right out of the chute-

1 Lose the pressed checkering and thin the forend.
2. Improve the finish on the receiver flats and loose the 'scan' symbol.
3. Fix the oversize bores, tight spots from stamping AND from dovetail cuts AND barrel bands etc. and change the 44 mags twist rate to 1:20.
4. Do NOT add another safety. The Button sucks enough already.
5. FULL Length magazine tubes on all 1895 Models.
6. Bring back the straight grip Texan carbines and 39 Mountie.
Spalding

Post by Spalding »

I like thin forends.