Flying with a Firearm

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Flying with a Firearm

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I just returned from the annual pilgrimage to the Michigan family homestead. I always bring something to shoot with the nieces & nephews. This year was a little different because my checked bag missed my connecting flight on the way home. They thought that it was on the next flight that was landing in 2-1/2 hours, but they couldn’t guarantee it. I had scheduled a shuttle for the 2 hour drive home, and I had the choice of sacrificing my fare, or paying the driver $40/hour to wait. I opted to leave.

With anything but a firearm, the airline will deliver a delayed bag to your door. They couldn’t fly it to a closer airport because it had exited security. I had to claim it within 5 days, or it would go to the American Airlines Land of Broken Toys in Dallas (presumably by ground). They first told me that no one else could claim it but me, then reversed that position the next day. It didn’t matter, because the shuttle service that I took was door-to-door, and would have charged as much for a bag as a human. But for COVID, the shuttle service that runs a regular schedule would have been running.

I made the beautiful drive to Phoenix on Saturday (Day 4), then battled back with all of the weekend traffic headed to the Grand Canyon. American Airlines graciously provided a three page, single spaced form to submit my claim for expenses. But not until I asked.

I don’t care how much it costs or how long it takes, I’m driving next year. And if any of my elected officials vote to bail out the airlines, I’m not just voting for the other guys, I’m campaigning for them.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Flying with a Firearm

Post by Archer »

That's dumb.
I ALWAYS state that I want the insurance if I'm flying with a firearm AND typically bump their default value. Delta's default 20 years ago was about enough for a cheap used concealment firearm. Not enough for a used S&W J frame in good shape.

Last time I flew with firearms and told them I wanted to insure the case for a given figure they told me that was above their maximum so I told them to put the max on it. Two Garands in the case and maybe a .22 rifle or a handgun or both. One of the Garands was match modded (NOT a National Match gun) and at that time the worked over guns were going for something like $1600+ you had better believe default wasn't going to cut it. The guy at the counter immediately hand carried it to the valuables/security cage.

It showed up on the baggage carousel at Ontario CA that was open to the street and NOBODY checked to make certain I was the right person picking it up. THEN to make matters even more annoying I didn't think it was going to fit in the stupid rental car for the drive home. I thought I was going to have to prop the case up on the idiot back glass that only rolled down half way. 54" case and the door barely shut with it wedged in place. The trunk was a porthole opening on a suitcase size well. This was AFTER having a conversation with the rental agency and they were closing immediately after giving me the keys to that microcar.

Flying the opposite way into Atlanta back then they checked my claim tickets before I could leave the baggage area.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, I traveled a bit with a firearm on the airlines. Nothing but a hassle. I ended it last year. My Texas plains mule deer hunt starting...

Harry, the rifle in the case is my '38 Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage. Unfortunately, I did not see a deer I wanted to shoot.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Honestly, the airplane was bought as a "grandkid getter". Grandma wanted it as much, if not more, than I did. It was "enough of the retired, do what you do. I want to see my grandkids."

I haven't been to Front Sight since I retired. All because of the thought of airline travel with a handgun and the hassle of getting a thousand rounds of ammunition out ahead of me. That will change.

After about six months of searching, I found a cargo pack for the belly. We travel heavy. It is enroute somewhere between Salt Lake City and the Texas Coast. My wife travels really heavy, her comment was, "can you put one on each wing as well?" The pack won't be installed until the annual inspection, after the first of the year. It sure will make traveling with long guns easier.

Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Now, that’s the way to travel.