Range closed , gun shop closed.

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Gunna1day

Range closed , gun shop closed.

Post by Gunna1day »

I just put a new 92 20” stainless on layaway. But don’t Think I will be shooting it for some time!
Damn the covid19!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Range closed , gun shop closed.

Post by mr surveyor »

Man, that's a bummer. Here in downtown NE Texas the gun shops are open, thanks to our Texas government leaders declaring gun shops to be in the "essential services" type businesses. The range that I'm a member of (an outdoor range) is open as normal, except for part being temporarily shut down for "re-construction". Surprisingly, I ordered a small batch of cast boolits this morning and was told not to expect them to be delivered until next Monday or Tuesday since they were having to work 15-16 hours per day to just stay 2-3 days behind.

Sounds like we're real fortunate here in my neck of the woods. But, still can't find a good supply of toilet paper ???

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Right.

Besides my kids staying home from school and me getting every other day off, there is no difference here. Well, the restaurants are all carry out or delivery only and there are limits on some items at the store. There are no local gun ranges, the gun shops and liquor stores are open, and the golf courses are too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

Gun shops are open. Local range is open (outdoor), as far as I know. Board of Directors meeting for the range scheduled for tomorrow night has been cancelled. Most things are available around here, but TP is still in short supply. You would have thought that after several weeks, the people that have been buying large quantities of TP would have just about buried themselves with it and stop buying, but it's still hard to come by.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:MBut, still can't find a good supply of toilet paper ???
Lot's of alternatives, JD. I knew I was saving my wore out boot socks for something. Wipe and wash!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I posted a short range summary from a week ago. I haven't tried to go back since then at least yet.

Several CA counties including LA tried to close gun shops. In fact LA tried through the health department and then the Sheriff announced he was closing them only to be told by the county atty office to mind his own business. A couple days after that the Fed guidelines said keep them open along with the ranges. The gov then announced each city or county could make their own choices and the LA sheriff backed off for the second time in four or five days.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

WRT TP: I had a few rolls but a friend of mine got back from travel and clued me into the fact his wife had been looking everywhere and considering ordering TP. He clued me into a few of the non-traditional places AFTER he got a supply and BEFORE they sold out so I managed to snag a pack that should last a while.

Since then I've not seen it on the shelf anywhere but I've seen 'sold out' lists including it on the doors of places like Staples and other outlets. They were out today at Walmart but they had two or three rent-a-cops guarding the empty shelves.

I did ventured out to Walmart today since they were not making people line up to get in one at a time and since I needed a few things I had run out of over the past couple weeks. The last time I ventured in the grocery it was EMPTY of most everything and several of them are allowing only a few people in the store at the same time. I got a buggy half full of most items I needed. I did manage to get some veggies and some meat. I even managed some buttermilk for biscuits and cornbread.

You folks from back in the real world have no idea how hard it is to get some items out here in CA sometimes. I have on occasion resorted to having friends and family in the south send me corn meal or other essentials. There were a half dozen packages of fru-fru flour in the store (made from dried potatoes or coconuts or bananas) but NO flour made from wheat or any corn meal in the entire place. Lucky that was not something I needed this time.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

BTW,
Social distancing is all very well but the wide load behind me for a few minutes in the check out lane before she realized the lane to the right was going to be open before I was rung up was way closer than I found particularly comfortable. Her head could have been 5+ feet away but the rest of her was maybe a foot and a half off my six.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Dang, I know I'm about to get off topic (forgot what the topic was) but this fits right in with the TP alternative.

I was running a survey crew for an engineering company about 40 years ago and had a summer help kid with me for his first week. We were running a route for a proposed pipeline across an old abandoned farm and about 1/4 mile from the truck when he felt the call of nature. One of the other guys told him about the emergency TP back in the truck but the kid knew he couldn't make it and was schooled on the use of his socks and/or shirt tail. He took off on his own and came back about 1/2 hour later walking a bit funny, but he said he was "much better". Come to find out that he found some "nice, soft, pink cottony stuff" in the fallen down remains of the old farm house. After about a week of his absence from work his mother came into the office to pick up his first - and last - paycheck.

That was 40 years ago, so I guess the ignorance of today's youth isn't anything new.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

My father worked off part of the cost of building his house by installing fiberglass batting for an uncle who was the general contractor on the build when I was a little fellow. My sister and I were often on the jobsite while my father worked the weekend. Back then it was usually the yellow stuff but same sort of fiberglass. I came to absolutely HATE getting in contact with it.

As an engineer I don't have to deal with it too much in a composite fabrication sense but I have several sets of very nice tweezers to help in removing fiberglass or carbon fibers or splinters. A single fiber can be hard enough to get rid of and you can think you've got it out only to have it tell you it is still there a minute or a day later.

Some of the old time fabricators I have worked with tell stories of putting fiberglass powder down coworker's collars or inside their coveralls or bunny suits. That sort of thing should be grounds for strapping the perp over a fireant hill at dawn and leaving them there.