Walmart stops handgun ammo sales

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Walmart stops handgun ammo sales

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I had an unpleasant wait for an unpleasant consultation with my dentist this afternoon, and he keeps a copy of The NY Times in his office. And his WiFi never works. I read the Wal-Mart article, and, as usual, was appalled by the technical inaccuracies. They’re going to stop selling ammo for short barreled rifles? And for assault rifles? Which calibers are those? I might wander in to a Walmart in a few months, just to see what they’re still selling. I don’t think they’ll miss my occasional purchase of 40 S&W, but I’ll do my part.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

They say no more military assault rifle ammo.
Im (assuming) that means 5.56/.223/7.62x39.
But 30-06 was a military cartridge, along with .308.
but they always make this term vague so they can keep adding to the list.
I have no idea what they mean by short barrel rifle ammo, must be referring to the AR/AK carbine style.
Hope it doesnt include my rossi 92 trapper,
Think i lost it in a boating accident the other day, +guns +guns +guns
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

When Kmart caved to that fat posteriored trespasser Michael Moore I didn't boycott them but I did consider whether or not I really needed to buy anything from them from then on and mostly I just didn't.

I have been making that same consideration with Walmart for some time over the past few years but with CA prohibiting mail order ammo unless it goes through a dealer Walmart has been an option that didn't run ridiculous ammo markups. Since CA instituted the 'eligibility check' for ammo a couple months ago and Walmart took the opportunity to put additional requirements on ammunition purchases over and above those required by this communist state I haven't bought any ammo there and have bought darned little else there. Before that I'd make a run to buy ammo and pick up some other things while I was there.

One of my friends from northern CA represents them as the largest world marketing arm of the Chicom Army manufacturing industries and he's probably correct.

I suspect Walmart may well go the way of Kmart and it may not take them 20 years to get there but if they don't it will be because like the dinosaurs they are too big to go down quickly and because they've killed all the mom and pop stores and most of the other big box stores in the areas where they operate. Amazon has put a real hole in their business however. (Not that Amazon is any better than Walmart when it comes to citizens' rights.)

Dick's Sporting Goods did the Ross Perot dance several times (I'm IN! I'm OUT! I'm IN! No I'm OUT!).
Around SoCal they have still been selling guns and ammo in the rural areas but their LA stores are more metrosexual. One of my friends from this area went into one down in LA and asked where the guns and ammo was and got a sarcastic response from a nitwit that torqued off my easy going friend to the point that when the twit finally got his nose out of the air and looked at the potential customers he backed up and suggested they might try the store in this area.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Word on the news tonight is that Amazon business is slacking off a bit. People ordering 6 or more times a month is down.
It was suggested that Walmart may be catching some of that business but no real evidence for that claim was made.

Locally here in CA I've noticed a creep in ammo prices since the ban. There's a Big 5 nearby that the past couple years or so would occasionally run a sale that made it worth picking something up. Their one day e-mail club sale coupon Brings the price of a Remington 'bucket of bullets' 200 rounds of .45 ACP down from $100 to $80 or they are normally pricing .45 ACP around $25 a box and putting it on sale for $20 but only if you buy QTY 4 and without the boxes.

When I picked up the Ruger SA last week the gunshop was sold out of anything at a decent plinker price and what was left was priced at a premium.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Amazon spending has gone up times 10 since I have nearly cut Walmart completely out of my life.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I saw on the net last week that walmart was pulling gun related magazines from their book area.
So, While in Williamsburg KY. i stopped by walmart and had a look see.
All black rifle type magazines were gone.
I picked up a copy of the backwoodsman magazine and looked through a copy of fur,fish and game.
I looked long and hard to make sure i wasnt missing anything, but all black rifle,handgun type magazines were either sold out or pulled.
Never seen them sold out in the past.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Back before Amazon became a sell EVERYTHING store it was pretty neat.
As companies transitioned from selling through catalogs and phone or mail order to using Amazon as their storefront there were some good and bad side effects.

As a storefront for other businesses Amazon stinks on ice.
Where else can a customer walk into a store and get a direct comparison of prices and shipping costs for the exact same item from 12 different vendors? Not to mention placing the order through the same shopping cart mechanism and single payment? AND be bombarded by advertisements for similar items from other shops effectively right next to the item you are trying to sell?

Amazon facilitates that AND sells the margins around your page to your competitors while selling you the page in question. Good for the customer perhaps and good for Amazon almost certainly but not so good for a shop owner who is renting his shelves from Amazon when he's undercut from China-direct.

Neither Amazon nor Ebay is exactly firearm friendly. I've been somewhat surprised at how many firearms businesses use Amazon as their primary sales outlet. Many of the traditional firearms companies who used to sell direct and through middlemen such as Midway, Graffs, Natchez, SSS and so forth have a major presence on Amazon and are often undercutting the prices the distributors can offer.

Ebay and PayPal were owned by the same anti 2nd individual and have gone through cycles where firearm related items have been allowed, disallowed and totally banned. (Not always coinciding cycles.) Several firearms auction sites have come and gone over the years catering to not only the firearm but related materials as well. Probably one of the reasons Ebay loosened up is to draw off the non-firearm related auctions and get those sellers who often do non-firearm related items as well more established on ebay and more wedded to ebay in general.

Some of my younger coworkers have been quick to pull the Amazon page up and order items without comparison shopping with other sites. It caters to people who want instant gratification and who have poor impulse control. I've found Amazon to often be competitive but not always. Over the last year or so there's been some grumbling among my coworkers about the price increases at Amazon for prime or other potential complaints.

I personally find Amazon to be quite annoying when I've looked at something one day to find it $5 or 5-10% more the next day or two. This seems to have become standard practice with them. I find it even worse as a holiday approaches for an item I was looking at to suddenly be 'reserved for prime members'. As if I will pay them an extra $120 in order to be able to nail down that $20 item I'm looking at because I might have planned it as a gift. I like to combine purchases into one order rather than get six little orders. I know I'm weird having been brought up on Sears, JCPenny's and later Service Merchandise, Montgomery Wards, LLBean and Lands End catalogs where each order was a seperate shipping charge. I find myself clicking to close the Amazon window every time they raise a price on me because I took an hour or a day to decide if I really wanted to make a purchase.

Quite a few of my friends tell me they've never experienced those sort of things with Amazon. I think perhaps that's because 1) they are prime members and Amazon has no reason to reserve an item since they've already paid the club fee 2) they don't comparison shop and simply buy what is offered at Amazon the first time they pull it up. 3) they simply don't pay attention and don't notice when/if Amazon plays pricing games. 4) they are buying so much crap through Amazon that they don't have to spend any time getting together several items to meet a free shipping requirement.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I hate Amazon but it beats giving money to Walmart. I have few options. eBay is worse every day and my seller rating is 1004 @ 100% +.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.