Small Trucks?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Small Trucks?

Post by Archer »

So somebody killed the Buick land yacht I've been driving for most of the past couple decades.

I've been thinking about getting a truck but most of the standard ones are a bit large for apartment living, not to mention not exactly what I'd call affordable if you want 4 seats and something besides a 4 cylinder lawnmower engine... (Base price $25K, add six or eight cylinder engine $35K, add 4 seats $40K, add 4 doors $45K, add $700 extended range tank (OOPS requires additional options!) $50K....)

I don't need 4WD and the extra 5K or so in cost plus the lower gas mileage and the potential for added maintenance isn't exactly calling my name. I do want 4 doors and it would be nice to have decent gas mileage since this will be an everyday driver and my work commute is stupidly lengthy.

As for small trucks...
Ford has finally brought the Ranger back. Half the reviewers must be getting paid to say it's great while the other half must be paid by Chevy or Toyota. Apparently its got a 'new frame' for the U.S. market. It uses the 10 speed transmission Ford's been putting in most everything recently and the 4 cylinder engine out of the Mustang with a different tune but the same Aussie designed body that's been running around everywhere but the U.S. for the past 5 years. They are just starting to market them after dribbling them out since around January 1st. The local dealer had a total of 5 on the lot when I looked all of them in the most basic of trims and without much of anything in the way of options like a simple trailer hitch. They are new enough that options like a trailer hitch or bed cover are extremely limited on the secondary market although I expect that will pick up fast. Requires a spray in bedliner preferably aftermarket.

Chevy has been selling the Colorado/Canyon for the last 4 or 5 years seems like. I have to admit I was thinking about one of these until I sat in one and test drove it. It didn't call to me. For some reason the local Chevy dealer seems to put drop in bedliners in EVERYTHING.

Toyota has been selling Tacomas to everyone who has managed to wear out the seats in their old ones and decided it was worth buying another one since after 200000 to 400000 miles the old one is still going. The reviewers mostly like the truck buy pan the cockpit layout, the 'infotainment system', the lack of power front seats and sometimes the six speed gearbox and the fact that it rides like a truck. Comes with a composite bed which can apparently be replaced pretty easily.

The Nissan Frontier is still out there although the reviewers are mostly panning it as outdated since it hasn't been 'updated' inside or out in quite some time.

Then there's the Honda Ridgeline. Not exactly a truck but more of a car with a bucket on the back with a hidden ice chest that apparently doubles as a trunk under the bed and behind the double action tail gate. It rides like a car, is built like a car and mostly gets about the same gas mileage as the other mini trucks.

Other than the fact that I think the local Ford dealership royally torqued me off by trying out their 'standard deal' on me as if they thought I was either 'simple' or had dementia or was desperate and would take the first offer no matter how lame I haven't really made much headway looking in the past week.

Anybody have opinions?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Small Trucks?

Post by mr surveyor »

I started buying Nissan pick-ups in late 1983. The first official year of the "King Cab". Then in 1986 traded for a new model. Both were 4x4 and both were underpowered 4 bangers, but they did the job. I moved up to a new one in 1992 with a V-6 and the 150 hp was quit the improvement over the 4 bangers. Over the course of the next 10 years I remember buying at least two others (still using the 92 model strictly for work) and in 2003 bought a 4 door Frontier 4x4 with a small bed. It could (can) maneuver most well beaten 4 wheeler trails and get through narrow tractor gates , perfect for my line of work. I don't use the 4x4 to get me in, but I do use it to get me out .... before I get myself stuck "in". I'm still driving that old 2003 Frontier as my primary work vehicle and have less than 140k on it, although the gas mileage is way less than desirable. It's cost a bit of repair money in the last 5 years to keep it on the road but it still gets me there - and I'm not making payments. I have absolutely no desire to consider a new one ... I just hope I can still find replacement parts for another 15-20 years when they decide to take my keys away

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The market has expanded too wide for there to be a single solution...in fact there is no solution that covers all the bases. Each manufacturer has chosen what they think the proper path to sales is. There is no point to me, at least the path Chevrolet and GMC took. Why pay 85% price for 65% of the truck that then loses 75% of its value in the first three years.

My 2007 Sierra 1500 2WD is worth 1/3 it's MSRP still. Try that with a bloated mini-truck. No, I don't trade often (my last one was 14 years old with 267K miles when I sold it) but for that reason it seems these "small" trucks are akin to throwing money away.

Find a low mileage 2001 LeSabre. They run forever...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Been down here in Peru over 30 years and the only pickups the mines purchase are made by some jap outfit. American and European pickups and cars fall apart on the "wash board" tank trails up in the mountains.
We have a 1987 Suzuki Samurai and still chugging along. Has a 1300 cc 4 cylinder that will keep it at 50 mph which is about all the "roads" are safe for.
It is a sad commentary but what comes out of some of the old name car factories we know to well are made for individuals who are blessed with smooth paved roads and do not plan on driving it much.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

My first new truck was a 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab 2wd. Rubber-mat special,dirt simple with a 4cyl engine making about 75 hp and a 4 spd. manual tranny. built on an actual frame..... The only option I got was an AM/FM radio. I built an in-bed fuel tank that fed into the factory tank, and a pair of bumpers made from 3/8 inch C-channel..........wish I had it back.
Last edited by TinMan on 10 Mar 2019 10:37, edited 2 times in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I like the looks of the nissan.
That 4.0 V-6 engine would be more then enough in that little package.
with 4x4 you could take it anywhere.
If had to leave town in a hurry, load it up, add a trailer with a tow package, and go.

https://2019trucks.com/2019-nissan-frontier/
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

If I had to leave town in a hurry, everybody else would have the same idea. And nobody would leave town in a hurry.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

HarryAlonzo wrote:If I had to leave town in a hurry, everybody else would have the same idea. And nobody would leave town in a hurry.

move to a smaller town ;)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Find a low mileage 2001 LeSabre. They run forever...
That was what I purchased new way back in 2000 and it finally bit it at 292K miles because someone ran out in front of it.

It should be noted however that they stopped making the model in 2005 and low mileage is not exactly easy to find. My parents purchased a 2005 new and it probably has 'low mileage' at 85K.
Parts can be found but are getting harder. To be honest, part of the reasons I've been looking at almost everything but GM products has been the attitude of the local dealerships when it comes to repairs. Half posteriored parts swappers at best and half the time I've had the car in for service with them they didn't bother to do the simplest jobs before they tell me the work is done. I have a good non-dealer mechanic who does good work at about half the price but he's only available through the week.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

HarryAlonzo wrote:If I had to leave town in a hurry, everybody else would have the same idea. And nobody would leave town in a hurry.
Too true.
mr surveyor wrote: move to a smaller town ;)

jd
It's not exactly how small the town is but how many lemmings are going to be streaming out of the population centers if it ever hits the fan. LA is about an hour away and that's too near for comfort.

That said, I'm not looking for a get out of dodge vehicle. I'm looking for a daily commuter with the capability of hauling 4-6 mountain bikes and 4 or 5 bodies on the weekend to the trail head or recovery from the trail end.