New Mexico Bear Attack

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

New Mexico Bear Attack

Post by Mad Trapper »

Just got this email from All outdoor, guide attacked by bear, used hid glock 10mm.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/09/14/g ... Newsletter

According to the article, this is the ammo he used.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/67455 ... -box-of-20

Article says the slide was jammed with the bears hair.
That is 357 mag power range, but you could get more velocity with a rifle.

Since im a slow runner and climber, i will stick with 44 mag for now, just saying.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: New Mexico Bear Attack

Post by GRV01 »

Some thoughts: 1) helluva story, hes lucky to be alive and kudos to his quick thinking;
2) i know this wont be a popular opinion but not wanting to take an optimal shot from farther away before he was in a scrap with a killing machine four times his weight because he didnt want to hit his dogs wasnt a choice i wouldve made. Not to quarterback his decisions in a situation ive never been in but id rather be standinf on my own two legs pouring sweat mourning the loss of one of my dogs than medevac'd and pouring blood out a leg gnawed off by griz. Or dead myself.
3) i agree about a revolver, wouldve made contact shots possible to end the fight faster, but im willing to bet he fired more than 6 times and in a melee woudlnt have been able to use even a speedloader. The classic 'revolver vs magazine' dilemma.

Having said that i cant wait to own a Redhawk in 45lc with a cylinder full of six of my own hot handloads as my wilderness gun.

Regardless, he survived in a situation i doubt i would have
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

As described in the story, complacency can get you hurt......or worse. Not keeping a (FULL) magazine of "bear ammo" near the gun you normally carry when chasing bears.....(because he's concerned about "spring-set"?), having anyone (who is not properly armed) follow along while he charges into an in-progress bear fight..... And finally, drawing a freaking camera instead of an actual weapon when confronting an already agitated bear.....yeah, the boy still has some learning to do. I do hope he takes heed of what could have happened to him.....and his family members.
After thanking God that his son was alive.......(and assuming that he was worth his salt as a hunter and guide)........I'd love to hear what Dad had to say to him. :idea:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

This incident was reported to have happened southeast of Raton, NM in a rural area. It was reported about July 20th. It was a black bear species, estimated at 300-400 lb. (large black bear, even tho it was reported to be cinnamon toned).

There have been numerous reported bear attacks this year in New Mexico, likely due I suspect to drought conditions earlier this summer making bears more aggressive towards finding food.

I personally am more inclined to carry a large bore revolver in the woods than a semi-auto. There was a reported incident a few years ago in either Oregon or Washington of a wounded grizzly bear attacking a non-hunter who accompanied friend on bear hunt. The fellow had a 1911, but was left handed. While rolling with attacking bear, man tried shooting it at point blank range with .45, but managed to hit mag release button. Man was trying to jam the 1911 into bear's throat when hunter showed up and plugged it with a redhawk .44 mag.

I personally think .41 mag, .44 mag, warmly loaded .45 Colt are more appropriate than 180 gr. 10mm rounds from a semi. As is said in New Mexico, tho, "toocheezown".
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

looks like when he shot the bear in the side, three times, probably just a bee sting to the bear, which made it mad.
Maybe he should have waited for a head shot, or not shot at all, unless the bear was charging.
just thinking out loud.
LEOs came to my cabin couple years ago, told me to be careful, neighbor on the back side of my farm was bow hunting from a tree stand.
The guy hunting was a coal millionaires family member and travels all over the world and hunts big game.
He estimated the black bear around 500 lbs.
Bear stood up and started pushing the tree back and forth, trying to shake him out of the tree.
LEO said he is big,territorial and aggressive.
Sometimes i can look out the window, and see one tall single tree swaying back and forth, weirdest thing to watch.
Went out today looking around for signs after family woke up around 2 am hearing horrible screams outside, close by.
I couldnt find anything, took the rossi 44 mag trapper with some hard cast 305 grain loads.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

Of course the father is quite a fool for his lack of correct actions that most likely cause the situation to escalate.

10mm as a woods gun is the latest wonder-gun myth. I was listening to the Deputy Sheriff at work explain that semi-auto in close quarters fights such as when the perp has a knife is very dangerous. Semi-auto jamming or mag drops is a very big risk. I have a few 9mm semi-auto for mob riots but for normal protection in the woods or around town I only use revolvers. My 4.5" Super Redhawk isn't pretty but it's perfect for the above situation.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.