Been A Tough Week

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
LowKey

Re: Been A Tough Week

Post by LowKey »

Amazing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zeus was a cool dog, but high maintenance. O3W just posted a Jeff Cooper quote in another topic "A solution looking for a problem", and that fit Zeus to a T. He was always working ahead into a problem. I realize now that he didn't let Laurel be the dog he could be, always played second fiddle. With Zeus there was a lot of little things that were not good, for instance, I got where I could not leave any of my stuff where he could get to it. It went missing or was destroyed. A week before his trouble started, he had been banned from the reloading room. I even had sat him down that week and talked to him about the mean spirit that he was developing, just constantly in attack mode. I had pulled up to a deer feeder and there was a fat, 4' diamondback departing ahead of us. He launched off the hood of the Mule, landed on top of it, but didn't stick his landing and rolled off to one side. Don't know how he survived that and that is the moment that I started steeling myself for the fact that he would meet his demise out here. Just didn't think it would be so quick.

Now free of the chaos of the adoption center and an overbearing brother, Laurel has come out of his shell and is going to be a complete ranch dog. I thought he would be laying on the bench on the front porch like a lot of hounds but that is not the case. He is a full up ranch dog with common sense that does not look for trouble. He is not going to carry the paper but I have no doubt that he would throw 70 lbs in harm's way if my wife or I need it. He sticks to me like glue but is not constantly seeking attention like Zeus did. He would no more tear up something that belongs to me than he would take my truck to town. I couldn't let my hat fall on the ground with Zeus. Funny how I didn't notice all this at the time. Laurel is showing us how it is supposed to be.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ranch, as I explore the site to catch up and see who is still around, what topic is trending now etc,I saw this post regarding Zeus. Some may recall my buddy I included in several pics back in the day. Her name was Husker. A Norwegian Elkhound mix. About a month ago I had to put her down. In your situation, it would have been easier to see him go down fighting then having to make the decision yourself. I hated my decision and took a few weeks to recognize that it was the correct decision. They are a gift. In short time I decided to get another dog, my first pure bread, a Norwegian Elkhound. Mary and my daughter drove out to Tennessee for me to get it. She’s a keeper.

P. S. I miss Noah’s picture.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C