Live Gun Auction Learnings

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Live Gun Auction Learnings

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I attended my first ever live gun auction yesterday and came away with several observations. For starters, the collectible gun market has gone just as crazy as the new gun market. The big lesson was not to trust technology. There were several lots that went to live bidders because the internet bids didn’t come in on time. The obvious solution is to submit your maximum bid as a proxy. It baffles me that internet bidders don’t do this.

The one lot that I bid on was a shooter. The catalog description neglected to mention the D&Td receiver and the locked up safety, so my internet competition was oblivious and likely bid accordingly. The D&T was visible in one photo if you looked very carefully. I had to go one increment higher than my target, but I’m happy. If I find something of interest at this auction house in the future, I will definitely drive the 50 miles for a hands-on inspection.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Live Gun Auction Learnings

Post by Arroyoshark »

I saw where Reata Pass near Prescott held an auction last weekend. Definitely have to pay attention when bidding on stuff and carefully look beyond the published disclosures. Glad you had some good fortune !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith