Good Day with the R92

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Good Day with the R92

Post by mr surveyor »

I try to go to the range at least once a week (sometimes more :) ) and today I played hookey from work for a couple of hours to make that long 7.3 mile trip to my favorite spot at the range. I just took my stainless 16" R92 in .357 (factory iron sights) to plink at some paper at 50 yards. The 8" dinger at 100+ yards was repaired and shootable, so it became a diversion to the paper. I've made many trips to the range with just that little carbine, some reloads, personal eye/ear protection and a spray can of white paint for that dinger. Never walk downrange to set up paper. Unfortunately all the dingers have been shot down, most likely by 300 win mags with armor piercing rounds (exaggerating a bit), and the 8" at least gets repaired within a week or so. Today was the day it was back up. So, between punching three targets at my usual 50 yards (bench and bag rest), I had two sessions of 5 rounds on the 100 yard steel and hit 5 of 5 for both rounds. Personal best.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Good Day with the R92

Post by Arroyoshark »

Great !!!
Nothing beats some personal time out at the range with a fave firearm, eh. Makes life worth livin'.

I have been using an eyetalian 1873 in .45 Colt, but have enjoyed similar pleasurable moments.

Only difference is that I carry & set up my own paper target stands and steel dingers on portable frames.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Up until the 2020 crash reared it's head, I was on the lookout for a .45 colt levergun. That thought is now on the back burner as I couldn't afford it anyway now. But I still have my 1973 Marlin 336, 30-30, and a 2013 Rossi R92 in 44 mag. They are both scoped, and like everything else I re-load for they get cast boolits 95% of the time. They both get their fair share of range time, and a lot more investment in re-load components, but danged if that little, nekkid, stainless 16 inch R92 tends to get a lot bigger share of range time. I'm really gonna miss it if/when something breaks or wears out and there's no spare parts available at all.

But still, Life is Good!

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Used to be an individual (expletive description avoided) who owned a gunshop in this area.
He was NOT a member at any of the ranges as that would have required a membership fee.
I found out from someone else that he would however trick members who visited his store into giving him the combo for the gate at the members only range.

Before I knew that I saw him at the range one day with a 50BMG pipebomb sort of rifle probably made out of a M2 machine gun barrel with a screw on breach. He apparently had a pile of overaged 50 BMG ammo that had been condemned. I'm guessing maybe 50% of it shot by the number of rounds he had rolling around the bench that he seemed to be running through the gun one more time.

His kid was roaming around unsupervised with a .22 or something and as soon as we rolled up he started gathering his stuff up and vacated the area shortly thereafter.

Before that the range had a hunk of pipe with a plate behind it on a hinge that showed a flag if your shot went down the pipe and hit the plate. There were a few other smallish steel targets out around 200 yards or so. AFTER that day I never saw any steel on the rifle range that wasn't brought in by a friend of mine and packed out the same day other than the gong at 600 yards.

I disliked the guy. Was in his shop a total of 3 times over the years and bought 1 box of oddball ammo from him I couldn't find anywhere else at the time. Never set foot in his shop after the first seven or so years out here. Heard a lot of stories while hanging around other shops about him, his dad and his shop. Never ever heard anything good.

He torqued off a friend of mine so bad that he bought a gunshop a mile or two down the road and ran it for about 4 or 5 years before moving to Texas.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I understand the strange disrespect, or outright ignorance that can be displayed the the range. Even though the range I'm a member of, with electronic gate only opened by key card, we tend to have our share of "inconsiderate" members. Someone is constantly destroying the steel plates, or the chains .... with obviously a lot more than the steel is designed for. Even in my somewhat "whimpy" lever guns, I still never shoot anything but cast boolits at the plates. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of those that just can't get their jollies unless they can destroy something (that they don't have to provide or repair/replace)

jd
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

This moron knew exactly what he was doing. Nothing short of a modern tank hull stands up to 50 BMG for long.