I got to cut down the number of guns I'm taking to the range

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

I got to cut down the number of guns I'm taking to the range

Post by Archer »

Went around June 19th. Took to many guns.

Had a couple coworkers who wanted to know more about ARs.
They were also interested in other semi auto rifles.
One was also wanting to try out the Springfield EMP and the Kimber CDP Ultra II again.

So for AR class I took:
A 5.56 NATO Palmetto State Armory 'Freedom' build with a 16" Mid length gas SS barrel, Monsterman featureless grip, Magpul MOE handguard and MOE carbine stock w/ carry handle sight. Strike Industries Stock Stop strip and VG7 Gamma compensator/brake.

*My .223 Wylde HDSA with a 16" mid gas length double fluted White Oak barrel, fixed Magpul MOE stock w/ 12" Midwest Industries free float rail, Timney trigger, Strike Industries Megafin, wearing a 3-9X Leupold Patrol. This is my wish list 5.56/.223 in everything except maybe the barrel length.

A 7.62x39 AR Stoner build w/ Hogue carbine stock w/ Stock Stop, and Magpul fore end (carbine gas system) 16" barrel and kydex wrap fin. Muzzle device is a KAK comp. A frame front sight with BU Rear.

A 6.5 Grendel w/ 20" DMR Odin Works barrel BCG and adjustable gas block. Midwest 15" rail, Fixed MagPul MOE carbine stock w/ 4-12X Leupold Patrol.

*A 12.7x42 (50 Beowulf) w/ 18" Saturn barrel, Midwest 15" rail, SLR adjustable gas block. Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock.

*.308 Aero Precision M5 w/ Rainier 20" select barrel, 15" Midwest .308 free float handguard, Match trigger (Don't remember if it's LaRue or G. SSA-E (pretty sure it is LaRue?), Magpul UBR carbine stock, Type II bullet button. 3-9X Leupold Patrol.

.308 Aero Precision M5 w/ 18" fluted SS barrel, 12" Midwest .308 Free float LaRue trigger Magpul MOE stock blocked. 1-8X Athlon scope.

.308 Mega MATEN w/ 20" Rainier Ultramatch barrel. Midwest 15" handguard, SSA-E trigger, Magpul PRS stock. Bushnell 6-24X50 scope. Used this one to spot.

.243 Winchester Mega MATEN w/ 20" Bear Creek SS barrel. Midwest 15" handguard, LaRue trigger, Magpul MOE stock blocked, 6-24X50 Bushnell

.308 Winchester Palmetto State PA-10 kit build w/ Magpul furniture A frame front sight GG&G rear backup. Sig Romeo Red dot w/ Juliet 3X magnifier (NOT the mini magnifier).

*AK clone build on Nodak Spud's receiver w/ traditional furniture except for the Monsterman featureless grip.

*Imbel FN/FAL clone in 7.62x51

**PTR-91 (HK-91 clone) in 7.62x51

*Springfield M1A .308 Standard

Also brought a Browning BAR 22, Browning Buckmark.
*A Springfield EMP 9mm
*A Kimber CDP Ultra .45 ACP.

A Beretta Px4 9mm
A Sig P226 - MK25 9mm
A Sig SP2022 9mm
A Sig P220 Equinox .45 ACP

The young gentlemen only shot the *ed guns above. I was the only one who shot the PTR-91 the other guys had problems charging it and decided it was too difficult for them so they shouldn't shoot it. (I don't know what's going on with guys today. One of these guys has arms twice the size of mine from being on the swim team and the other one is probably half my age. The were good about paying for their own ammo and helping me unload and reload the truck.

They REALLY liked the Beowulf and the M1A. Liked the M5 quite well and both of them HAD to shoot the FN/FAL but weren't prepared for the weight and length of the .308s overall. One of them really liked the AK after shooting it a lot more than before. I think that's because it was light, short and didn't kick him.

Both said they should have brought more ammo. I had more and they could have shot more but they were watching their pennies a bit as well. One of them paid me for a box of .45 ACP at $40 and his ammo bill was about $76 while the other guy came in around $32 and I gave him about $4 in 9mm so he could shoot the EMP and not owe me anything. He'd brought his SS Kimber with Fiber optic sights and it was quite nice. I put 4 rounds out of it and I think 2 or 3 of them hit the 1" paster at short range. I'm a Kimber fan. they aren't perfect but they are fun and I've got a handful of them.

The guy wanting a carry weapon is looking to get a CDP Ultra. He'd get it in 9mm if it was available here in CA.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: I got to cut down the number of guns I'm taking to the r

Post by Archer »

So this was initially set up as a 3 guest run to take out some of the lever actions and the handguns the gent wanted to try one more time before he bought something.

One of the coworkers had his schedule repurposed when his water heater on his RV went out. Turned out the replacement wasn't available until Saturday about an hour away. He initially backed out but I talked him into showing up for the AM. Then his brother called him up and was going to show up to help with the repair. Turns out he brought the man's wife and daughter with him and she had house hunting on her mind followed by father's day.

Another didn't let his social planner know what he was up to and she planned his Saturday for him at the in-laws.

Added another coworker who was interested and switched over from levers to ARs as they wanted to learn.
Added a former coworker who let me know Friday he wasn't going to make it.
I was sort of surprised they didn't want to shoot some of the other large frame ARs but I'll get them sighted in eventually.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: I got to cut down the number of guns I'm taking to the r

Post by Reese-Mo »

One time... I went out on the FPL right-of-way with my old buddy who was an FPL troubleman. He had his sons, his live-in teenage exchange student, and another friend along. I think I brought a 44mag, a 357, and a 22 pistol, a 10/22 and an 870 rem, along with my "grand vidalia" bird thrower. That was one time. Mostly, just two handguns and three or four hundred rounds total.
Thebige58

Re: I got to cut down the number of guns I'm taking to the range

Post by Thebige58 »

Anymore in my "busy retirement life", I have found I enjoy my range time more by only taking one rifle & one handgun to the range. I am able to spend more time critiquing my abilities with handling & targets. And only being 10 minutes from the range is helpful too in that respect.