October 2, 2020 'Break my Window'???

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

October 2, 2020 'Break my Window'???

Post by Archer »

Went to the range last week with a former coworker.
Ran the Single Six SS with both cylinders. The gate got a little rough but it was fun. Matt hadn't done single action revolver ever so that was new to him. Flushed the gate hinge area with solvent and oil during cleaning and it appears to be better now.

Ran the Buckmark Contour for a handful of magazines.

Did the Vaquero in .38 and .357 for a few cylinders.
Ran the Rossi 20" .38/.357 for a mag or two. Fun gun.

Did a little 9mm, a little .45.

Approached by another range member to cease fire and let him put up some targets we agreed and he showed back up in a few minutes asking if we had a hammer so he could break his window as his truck had autolocked him out with the keys inside...

Managed to call AAA for him instead since he was a member and my friend had to bail after getting that set up.
I hung around and made sure the wrecker showed up. Waved him toward the truck and he had slim jimmed the locked door before we could get the gate closed and back to the truck at the other end of the range. So I let the AAA guy out and called it a day myself.

Fun but a five guns to clean after I got home.
alphalimafoxtrot

Re: October 2, 2020 'Break my Window'???

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

nice. interesting day at the range!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

One of the many things I carry in my truck is a kit to break into vehicles.

For the reason above of course.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:One of the many things I carry in my truck is a kit to break into vehicles.

For the reason above of course.

when I was active in "first responder" activities in the 70's and 80's, a lot of us carried spring loaded centerpunches. One pop from them in the right spot on side window glass would completely spider web the entire glass ... you could just push your gloved hand in and pull out masses of non-sharp glass. The little pike pointed hammers will work to some extent, but can't compete with the center punch (IMO) :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

We could have busted his window without any question.
I keep one or two of these in the truck: https://resqme.com/ I bought a few dozen of these as gifts a few years back for friends and family and then picked up some more at one point for some coworkers.
I used to keep a spring loaded punch in the console before that. These are basically the same thing only a bit lighter, smaller and not likely to wonder off for some other job as they aren't good for much other than breaking windows.

I also keep a small tool bag that may not have a hammer but that does have a heavy set of channel locks and gloves among other tools. Since I got the truck and don't have a trunk I don't currently have a couple wrecking bars and an ax in it that I used to have most of the time as the cops frown on 'weapons' that are 'readily accessible' in the crew compartment and I haven't added a toolbox to the bed.

There was a case here in CA several years ago where a man disappeared on his way home. After the authorities had given up his family managed to find him where he had run off the road. As I recall there were reports that the guard rail had been repaired where he went off the road but as he was 200 feet below the breach and under heavy trees/brush the repair crew didn't realize anyone was trapped below. He was there for about a week or so. There was a second car there that might have gone over a week or so earlier with the driver dead. A whistle is something else I have a tendency to add to the emergency items as it takes a heck of a lot less effort to blow it and it carries further than simply yelling especially if you are hurt.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was referring to non-destructive means.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:I was referring to non-destructive means.
Sorry, I was remembering emergency means ..... what could be considered as constructively destructive ;)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I got THIS KIT but mine came with a storage bag. It's behind the back seat in my crew cab 2007 Sierra (and there's EVERYTHING else one might need under the back seat).
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:

I got THIS KIT but mine came with a storage bag. It's behind the back seat in my crew cab 2007 Sierra (and there's EVERYTHING else one might need under the back seat).
Carrying case sold separately apparently and at least half the vendors require LEO credentials or ship only to LEO agencies even with credentials.

CA's burglary tools statute requires 'felonious intent' for the possession of burglary tools charge to stick but the statute is another annoying wrinkle.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

None of that applies to me at least.